Starting to turn it up now.

ct8282
ct8282 Posts: 414
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Bout 3 months ago I started this game and over the weeks I feel like I've made some really good gains. Hills that used to fill me with fear are regular targets now and not avoided. I'm coming out on top and setting new PR's each time I tackle them. That horrible deep burn is becoming much more manageable, even enjoyable, and I'm able to sustain periods of extended effort and power for much longer now. 2 weeks ago I also started 1 to 1 spin classes on a Tuesday morning first thing, and the instructor has been focusing on my pedal technique and really putting me through my paces on long climbs and sprints and I believe this has really helped me a lot.

This morning I went out for a 26 mile circuit that I haven't done for about 4 weeks, and I totally smashed it. At least that's how it felt anyway. I averaged 18.5mph which is up from 17mph the last time I did this circuit. Well chuffed with that.

http://app.strava.com/activities/70350607

Now I know 18.5mph over that distance is probably pants to some of you but for me it's a huge achievement and I'm really stoked. When I first started roading I was hitting about 14.5 to 15mph average over 10 to 15 miles, and in fact the first time I did the circuit in question I averaged 15.2mph. I know the gains won't continue to come as thick and fast moving forward but I'll keep working on technique and keep pushing hard and I'm sure there's still plenty of gains to be had.

Hope you all had a decent morning ride too. :D

Comments

• gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    well done ct always nice when you find it all coming together.

keep up the good work.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I think your post sums up an emotion that most if not all riders will have had. And it also shows why Strava is a great little tool for measuring improvement. I've only been riding for 12 months and was at my absolute limit on some local inclines but now I'm powering up them with 3 or 4 cogs to spare. It's a great feeling. Well done, enjoy your riding.

Winnats Pass completed yesterday, no spare cogs on that climb! :D
  • JDinho
    JDinho Posts: 16
    I'm very local to you, if you're ever looking for a riding buddy drop me a message.

http://app.strava.com/athletes/918345
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Excellent .. Thanks for sharing. And a stack of PRs to
  • ct8282
    JDinho wrote:
    I'm very local to you, if you're ever looking for a riding buddy drop me a message.

http://app.strava.com/athletes/918345

Thanks John. I'm a Horsham lad too, well BBH but only since last year. I'll certainly drop you a line if I fancy some new company. What sort of riding do you so, distance and pace etc?
  • mbthegreat
    mbthegreat Posts: 179
    Wish I was hitting 18.5 mph over 25 miles 3 months into cycling...

...or now...
  • ct8282
    mbthegreat wrote:
    Wish I was hitting 18.5 mph over 25 miles 3 months into cycling...

...or now...

Well, I came into this game after 8 years of very intensive body building and running (which I still do), and doing events like ToughMudder so my fitness was already extremely good. For me it's been a case of building bike fitness and strength as opposed to general fitness. My build really isnt the usual cyclists build as I'm very stocky and carrying lots of weight for my height from the body building, but i have no intention of losing weight. However, I'm no stranger to pushing myself to the limit and experience shows that this is how you force your body to change and improve, assuming you get your diet and rest/recovery right also.
  • eddiefiola
    eddiefiola Posts: 344
    Excellent!

I Started back in April too, I guess my best (fastest) ride is probably a recent group ride 52 miles averaging 19.5mph, pretty flat where we are http://app.strava.com/activities/69768005
  • ct8282
    That's awesome man. I've not ridden with a group and only been out a couple of times with another person so don't really know how drafting in groups can affect speed. Need to get more confident with this type of riding eventually but I like slogging it out on my own.
  • JDinho
    JDinho Posts: 16
    ct8282 wrote:
    Thanks John. I'm a Horsham lad too, well BBH but only since last year. I'll certainly drop you a line if I fancy some new company. What sort of riding do you so, distance and pace etc?

It's mostly 40 mile rides (sometimes more, sometimes less), out and back from Horsham to Surrey Hills or south/south-east towards Haywards Heath or Billingshurst. Typical pace is around 16mph for 40miles and more if shorter, of late I've been riding solo on those rides. Usually over mixed terrain, find too much flat a bit boring.

Recently been out a lot recently, training up for Ride London.