Storms

Schoie81
Schoie81 Posts: 749
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
I'm supposed to be off out on the bike shortly. I'm not worried about rain, i've cycled in it plenty of times and I just figure that skin is waterproof - I always shower at the other end so what does it matter if I get wet. That said, there's thunder rumbling all around here at the moment and I'm wondering if going out in it is a good idea?

Has anyone been out in a thunderstorm? I imagine its not much fun? Should I skip the ride tonight, or just carry on and cycle faster so I get home quicker??
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"

Comments

• johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Always difficult to tell. Me and the 6yr old abandoned last night because we didn't want to risk it. Having said that I guess there's more chance of being hit by a car or just falling off under your own steam. Pays your money takes your chances. Sorry not more helpful but suspect if on my own I would have carried on
  • Paul-Posh
    Paul-Posh Posts: 31
    Get out there you might enjoy it.
  • Schoie81
    Ha ha, thats kind of what I was thinking. I quite like a good storm! Its just my route takes me over some pretty exposed landscape and if anything happens I don't want people saying "you stupid ****, what were you thinking..."

Its died down at the moment, so if there's no rumbling in the next half hour i'll be gone and just see what happens!! :D
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I too am not bothered about getting wet as such. However there are two issues that concern me.

Grip, water is slippery so you run more of a risk of falling.
    Temperature. If you're wet, especially if there is a wind (and there will be while cycling!) then you can get very cold very quickly. If it's raining and at the same time 30C temperatures, not so much of an issue. But on a normal British day it can be a problem. But taking a rain coat with you can help with that issue.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I got caught in a storm last night, not thundery but the rain was coming down like it. Brought a smile to my face cycling along half flooded roads completely drenched :D

Wasn't so much fun trying to slow down on the hill so I could turn into my street, road brakes really suck in the wet.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Generally speaking, it's damn good fun if you don't mind getting a bit damp. I've been out in a few thunder storms and there's something satisfying about being the only idiot out in truly ludicrously bad weather. There's always the nagging 'will I get hit, given that I'm sitting on something metal'....but there's generally a lot of higher points than me around to attract the lightning.

So you might get some 'how could you be so stupid' comments, but at least you'll go out with a smile on your face....
  • Schoie81
    All irrelevant in the end - it was perfect weather for a bike ride! :) Well, it would have been if it hadn't been quite as windy, but can't really complain...
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    The Pro's rode up the Croix Fry on Stage 19 of this year's Tour in a mental thunder and lightning storm that grounded the camera helicopters – we were on the last hairpin with thousands of other spectators – it was epic. We then rode up it ourselves the next day and all hell broke loose again. Nobody was struck down by lightning (we were above 1400m) and although the descent off the Aravis was basically down a river there were no offs.
  • We were also on stage 19 and endured that wonderful soaking.....

You hopefully have some rubber between you and the ground so nothing too much to worry about, carbon frames will increase risks as would any carbon touch points like bars although you'd have tape on them.

Avoid taking shelter under trees, be aware of the wash off on decants, the Croix Fry was very dirty afterwards with lots of small sharp stones and enjoy the fireworks....
  • hangeron
    hangeron Posts: 127
    Carbon fibre de-laminates horribly when struck by lightning..as any helicopter rotor blade engineer knows.
  • Schoie81
    We were also on stage 19 and endured that wonderful soaking.....

You hopefully have some rubber between you and the ground so nothing too much to worry about, carbon frames will increase risks as would any carbon touch points like bars although you'd have tape on them.

Avoid taking shelter under trees, be aware of the wash off on decants, the Croix Fry was very dirty afterwards with lots of small sharp stones and enjoy the fireworks....

My bike budget was low, so no carbon fibre on my bike.... aluminium frame, forks and bars....
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I rode home last night through some pelting rain and I was fine because it wasn't that windy and the air temp is still good - might be worth taking a gilet to keep the wind off your core and keep you warm
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight