Kinesis T2 Self Build

Dezza
Dezza Posts: 155
edited August 2013 in Your road bikes
This will be my first attempt at a self build and will act as my winder bike. I'll be fitting it with a mixture of new bits and replaced components from my existing bike.

Excuse the carpet - the colour is bl00dy awful i know!

9108722826_a1957f71ae_z.jpg
9108724396_119b3e1406_z.jpg

Kinesis T2 framset with DC07 forks.
105 shifters & cassette
Ultegra crankset and mechs (used)
4ZA Stratos rims & handle bar (used)
Charge Spoon saddles.
Tektro R539 long drop brakes

Comments

• mattbass789
    mattbass789 Posts: 355
    I can see this looking very good... What are we having for wheels?
    “If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham
  • Good choice, I've been using a Kinesis TK as a winter bike for a couple years now, you won't be disappointed. I fitted proper SKS mudguards and I would recommend them for keeping the dirt and mud of you and the bike during the worst of the winter weather.
  • Dezza
    I've got 4ZA stratos wheels with 25mm GP4s.

Unsure which mudguards to get. I use a saris gran fondo car rack which means I need a detachable front guard.
    http://www.saris.com/en/bike-racks/vehi ... egory_id=7
  • bencolem
    bencolem Posts: 463
    Funnily enough I've been building myself a winter bike in the middle of (the English) summer today - and it's a Kinesis as well (GF). I used these SKS Chromoplastics from Wiggle http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-chromoplast ... guard-set/ - royal pain to fit but super secure once done. Highly recommended.
  • Crispyapp
    Crispyapp Posts: 344
    Exactly the same as my winter fame, I bought mine in nov after my winter bike was stolen.... Absolutely cracking frameset, great choice. There pretty heavy when built but I don't mind that as it makes for better winter training... Aside from that I love ,one to bits, v happy with it.

If your interested here is the link to mine... viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12905969
    Look 595 ultra - F+F for sale.....
    Cervelo r5
    Kinesis T2 2013 winter bike
    Merida Carbon 1500 flx MTB
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Mine's got over 2k miles since the build, summer and winter whenever I need a mudguard bike. T2, 51cm with 105 and handbuilts (Excellights) with SKS guards, comes out at 9.9kg with bottle cages, pedals etc. I weighed the frame and it was quite a bit over the Kinesis quoted data (what a surprise...) but I'm well pleased with it, I love the bike.

Change the Tektro pads (they eat aluminium for breakfast) for Koolstop salmons or Swissstop greens and you'll be fine.

And order a new carpet please!
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    My 57cm frame came in at 1760g on the scales, which is a little over the quoted weight on the website.

I'm almost done collecting parts for the build which should hopefully be done this week. I reckon 9.5kg will be it's ballpark mass without guards. Will post once done!
  • Dezza
    holiver wrote:
    My 57cm frame came in at 1760g on the scales, which is a little over the quoted weight on the website.

I'm almost done collecting parts for the build which should hopefully be done this week. I reckon 9.5kg will be it's ballpark mass without guards. Will post once done!

They prob quoted the smallest frame weight :)

I've built mine, just need to tweak the stem, saddle position and add bar tape then I'm done. Just need a bit of time to finish.

I'll upload a pic soon.

Mine weighs about 9.5kg so you're good on that figure.
    And order a new carpet please!
    I agree. its bloody awful I know.
  • holiver
    Nah they actually supply weights for all frame sizes, which is useful!

http://c8246209.myzen.co.uk/wp-content/ ... ht-t21.jpg

I've been in contact with a couple of guys at Kinesis over the past couple of weeks regarding the frame and the only information they don't supply is stack and reach measurements which can be very handy.

Looking forward to seeing the finished article!
  • Dezza
    Pretty much there. Built and test ridden for the first time at the weekend, its been a voyage of discovery! Pretty happy with it, although i'm not convinced about the cruds - very wobbly!

Ive since tweaked the saddle, swapped the tektro blocks for swiss stops (as someone recommended) and got rid of the temp flats.

9445232415_174717101d.jpg
    9445233357_2475c5fe78.jpg
    9448019044_ee8e5059a4.jpg
    9445231383_b87cb80821.jpg
  • Nice, I do like these Kinesis winter bikes.
    Dezza wrote:
    ...i'm not convinced about the cruds - very wobbly!

I'm curious why you've gone for Cruds as it takes full mudguards, seems a bit odd to me.
  • Dezza
    Nice, I do like these Kinesis winter bikes.
    Dezza wrote:
    ...i'm not convinced about the cruds - very wobbly!

I'm curious why you've gone for Cruds as it takes full mudguards, seems a bit odd to me.

Ive got an odd bike rack which hooks the front wheel over a cradle - eg:
    saris-gran-fondo-zoom.jpg

This means I need a front guard I can easily remove. The cruds are fastened with laggy bands and a zip tie. However, i'm all ears if you know of a sturdier set that can be unclipped easy :)
  • holiver
    What size is the frame?

Mine is in the bike shop being built up at present. Can't wait to get it and start riding!
  • Dezza
    holiver wrote:
    What size is the frame?

60cm. I'm 6ft 4.

What kit you having on yours?
  • holiver
    I've gone for the 57cm as I'm 181cm (5'11") tall.

The build is Campag Centaur mechs, Chorus levers and a SRAM S500 chainset. Will definitely be posting it and a full build list once I have it and am in the right position upon it.
  • Dezza
    Nice! Looking forward to it.

You should have it sorted in time for the return of the crap weather :)
  • holiver
    Yeah... Luckily I have full SKS Chromoplastics ready to stick on it!
  • holiver
    Hey Dezza,

How are you finding the Tektro brakes? I ask as I am having issues with the Miche Performance 57mm brakes I purchased for my now complete build. Basically the arms don't seem long enough so the pads are sitting too high...

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12935545

I may have to get new brakes to solve this so it would be good to hear how the Tektros perform and how much clearance they have for the pads. Any chance you can post some photos?

Cheers!
  • Dezza
    holiver wrote:
    Hey Dezza,

How are you finding the Tektro brakes? I ask as I am having issues with the Miche Performance 57mm brakes I purchased for my now complete build. Basically the arms don't seem long enough so the pads are sitting too high...

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12935545

I may have to get new brakes to solve this so it would be good to hear how the Tektros perform and how much clearance they have for the pads. Any chance you can post some photos?

Cheers!

No trouble at all, plenty of clearance to tweak the blocks which I swapped for swiss stop greens on the recommendation of another forumite. There's also enough space to remove wheels with 25mm tyres without the need to deflate.

I'll post a pic when i get the chance.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    The Tektros on my T2 are great in the dry (Swissstop greens) but really not great in the wet when stopping or slowing on big descents. Rims are Ambrosio Excellight. I may try Koolstop salmon pads next.

I agree with Dezza on clearance, to add a little detail, 25c GP4s come past the blocks at a squeeze.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Koolstop salmon/black are the way forward: much better than Swisssssssstop green and dirt cheap as well.
  • Dezza
    Yossie wrote:
    Koolstop salmon/black are the way forward: much better than Swisssssssstop green and dirt cheap as well.

Noted for next time :)

Photo as requested:
    9480028613_50a230d0a0_z.jpg