Carrying a mtb on the back of a motorbike?

entershikari
entershikari Posts: 53
edited August 2013 in MTB general
A few months ago I got rid of my car in favor of just having a motorbike (SV650), an annoying consequence of this is that I haven't been able to get very far with the mtb. :cry:

So what I really want to know is if any of my fellow mountain bikers and motorcycle riders have any experience with carrying the mountain bike on the motorised bike. How did you do it?... did it work well?

Comments

• cyclinggooner
    cyclinggooner Posts: 33
    edited July 2013
    The only way to do it legally would be to fit a motorcycle specific towbar and put your MTB on a trailer.

http://www.freewheeluk.net/towbars
  • The only way to do it legally would be to fit a motorcycle specific towbar and put your MTB on a trailer.

Why would there be anything illegal about strapping it to the back, as long as its done securely. You can attach as bike rack to the back of a car, I don't see why it would illegal to do something similar with a motorbike
  • sorry replied without too much thought, as long as you strap it in line with the bike it should be fine, if you put it across the saddle and it extends too far out either side then it may be considered dangerous. And also i wouldn't want to strap my road bike to the saddle of my motorbike.

having had time to trawl the net i've seen a number of pics where people have had racks made up which sort of replicate roof bar type attachments. so they hang over the back of the bike in line.

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/283554126_2pDrd-M.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    242218961-L.jpg
    293524968_8C6wc-L.jpg
    293021578_9aARY-L.jpg
    222423711_f4Ypo-X3.jpg
    239436778_Ggnuk-X2-1.jpg
    RDM_9148b.jpg

infact most things can be shifted by Bike

133043614_CExdU-L.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    I once saw a guy at Glentress with bike and wheels strapped flat to the back of a moped.
  • All those pictures are of big touring bikes with loads of flat space to strap a bike. An SV650 hasn't got as much room to strap things to.

Has no one here got any experience of doing this themselves?
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    All those pictures are of big touring bikes with loads of flat space to strap a bike. An SV650 hasn't got as much room to strap things to.

Has no one here got any experience of doing this themselves?

It's not something I'd do myself (particularly not on my Street Triple R), but a quick look at Google images shows that numerous people do it. Thinking about it logically there's no reason why it's not possible, as long as you've got it secured properly - at the end of the day a 14kg mountain bike is a fraction of the weight of even a small pillion, and a damn sight more aerodynamic than a gash top box. I wouldn't fancy riding a bike down Gisburn Forest trail park's access road though.

rack1v2.jpg

31268362120.jpg

Don't do it like this SV650 rider:

motorcycle-bicycle-crash-628-1367342873.jpg
  • Brommo
    Brommo Posts: 28
    NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!

just don`t even think about it :roll:

I`m a keen biker and ride a MTB.

Just why would you even think about it ?

Go with a mate in their car or use public transport.

Having a MTB on a motorbike is just an accident waiting to happen

really ? just DON`T
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Brommo wrote:
    NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!

really ? just DON`T
    Why?...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Brommo wrote:
    NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!

really ? just DON`T
    Why?...

I'm guessing he's going to say it's extremely dangerous - judging by the content of his post.
  • ilovedirt
    I'm just curious, he didn't actually give a real reason as to why not
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Well he did really.
    Brommo wrote:
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    ilovedirt wrote:

I wouldn't do it myself, but as long as it's secured properly (like in the pics above) there is no reason why not. It's far lighter than even a child pillion (and won't wriggle around and lean the wrong way like pillions can) and far more aerodynamic than those godawful 50 litre topboxes that saddos have bolted behind their bikes like a giant sail. Secure it properly, dial in a touch more rear preload and Bob's your mother's brother.
  • ilovedirt
    cooldad wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Well he did really.
    Brommo wrote:
    That's not a real reason though...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    ilovedirt wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Well he did really.
    Brommo wrote:

No, I suppose not - if you like getting in road accidents.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Years back I saw a guy on the M4 with a bike on the back of his motorbike - had a purpose built rack for it and the wheel - I am guessing most of those in the pics are custom built so the cost might be quite high - another option might be a £300 run around with a 12 month mot and not a lot else going for it for those days you need to take the bike somewhere?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Kowalski675
    ilovedirt wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Well he did really.
    Brommo wrote:

No, I suppose not - if you like getting in road accidents.

Explain why it would cause a road accident.
  • Kowalski675
    Years back I saw a guy on the M4 with a bike on the back of his motorbike - had a purpose built rack for it and the wheel - I am guessing most of those in the pics are custom built so the cost might be quite high - another option might be a £300 run around with a 12 month mot and not a lot else going for it for those days you need to take the bike somewhere?

You have to add the cost of insurance, road tax and running expenses to that too though.
  • Brommo
    ilovedirt wrote:

Explain why it would cause a road accident.

You can carry some weird things on a motorcycle. And if you look at pictures in 3rd world countries they carry whole families on C90`s and the like !

the last place you want weight on a motorbike is hanging out back behind the back wheel. It badly affects the handling whilst cornering

an SV650 is a sweet handling bike. Why on earth would you want to screw with that by putting a bloody pushbike on it ?

Not saying it would cause an accident every time but I`d be surprised if it didn`t give you some very hairy moments almost every time

you could carry a fridge or a christmas tree on a bike but why would you ? :lol:

its a crazy idea :mrgreen:

you can`t really compare hanging a bike out back to a pillion as the weight is centralised along with the rider on a pillion seat
  • Kowalski675
    Brommo wrote:
    the last place you want weight on a motorbike is hanging out back behind the back wheel. It badly affects the handling whilst cornering

I've been riding (motor)bikes for over twenty years, and your reply doesn't answer the question I asked.

an SV650 is a sweet handling bike. Why on earth would you want to screw with that by putting a bloody pushbike on it ?

Read his post - it's his only transport. He's not suggesting that he wants to bolt the bike on when he goes out hooning down his local backroads, but he needs to be able to transport it to where he wants to use it, when he wants to use it.
    you can`t really compare hanging a bike out back to a pillion as the weight is centralised along with the rider on a pillion seat

14kg of bicycle situated like that would have far less effect on the bike's handling than an average sized pillion (epsecially on a sportsbike, where pillion seats are just token gestures situated high up behind the rider's seat), and won't move about, fidget and lean the wrong way like pillions like to. The bikes pictured are placed in a similar position to a ghastly topbox, but far more aerodynamic., and would affect handling less than a topbox full of luggage.

It could make a nice wheelie bar too, lol...
  • Brommo
    Brommo wrote:

I've been riding (motor)bikes for over twenty years, and your reply doesn't answer the question I asked.

Read his post - it's his only transport. He's not suggesting that he wants to bolt the bike on when he goes out hooning down his local backroads, but he needs to be able to transport it to where he wants to use it, when he wants to use it.

14kg of bicycle situated like that would have far less effect on the bike's handling than an average sized pillion (epsecially on a sportsbike, where pillion seats are just token gestures situated high up behind the rider's seat), and won't move about, fidget and lean the wrong way like pillions like to. The bikes pictured are placed in a similar position to a ghastly topbox, but far more aerodynamic., and would affect handling less than a topbox full of luggage.

It could make a nice wheelie bar too, lol...

opinions are like arseholes - we all have one ! :)

I`ve also been riding (motor) bikes for almost 30 years and have done some daft things in my time on them. But putting a MTB on the back ? Nah !

You can transport most things on a motorbike if you really want to but if (or should that be when) you have an accident I bet you would find it much harder to get a verdict in your favour even if it wasn`t your fault.

I ride a big bike but I also had a C90 a few years back (got it for a good price and a C50 was my first ever bike when I was 16) and it was a real laugh to ride. It would take a pillion but when I put a load in the back box (which was slung quite a way behind the double seat) it really buggered up the handling . Suprisingly so

I know an SV is much heavier and so the weight of a MTB won`t affect the handling that much but still feel its not the best idea in the world

just get the train and/or lifts from mates.

my 2p !
  • Kowalski675
    We'll have to agree to disagree. As for riding a "big bike" - size isn't everything, lol... I could've had a new 1050 Speed Triple (or many other bikes) for what I paid for my Street Triple R, but I knew that on proper roads the smaller bike would run rings round it, and be more fun. One of the mechanics in a bike shop I worked in had a heavily modified (SSSA) TL1000S, but he often took out his wife's SV650S instead, 'cos it was just a really fun bike to ride.
  • The idea of the mtb on the bike is sound. But the one question nobody has asked is where do you leave all your kit and helmet?
    If you have decent kit, as I do, you're looking at over a grands worth to leave secure somewhere :shock: . Most trail centers I've been to don't offer anything.
  • Kowalski675
    The idea of the mtb on the bike is sound. But the one question nobody has asked is where do you leave all your kit and helmet?
    If you have decent kit, as I do, you're looking at over a grands worth to leave secure somewhere :shock: . Most trail centers I've been to don't offer anything.

A grand? And the rest, lol (that only covers lid, gloves and boots). You just have to ride to the trail centre in your MTB shorts and cycle helmet, or ride the trails in your leathers and £500 Arai, lol...
  • the pics all show the bikes bolted on in various positions but in line with the rider. i personally wouldn't feel to confident with my bike as my pillion in that position. are there also insurance implications? they try anything to get out of a claim.

they also appear to obscure the light/plate with no rear lightboard type attachment.
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • Kowalski675
    the pics all show the bikes bolted on in various positions but in line with the rider.

I don't get your point? Where else would you put it? You wouldn't want it off centre.
  • Hawmaw
    Hawmaw Posts: 124
    lochussie wrote:
    I once saw a guy at Glentress with bike and wheels strapped flat to the back of a moped.

HaHa , That would be Velomaniac from Retrobike. He's got it down to a fine art. He's also got a 3 wheeler I believe , probably a Robin. Both are off the road just now so he's cadging lifts .
  • Gibbo3771
    Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
    duct tape, lots and lots of duct tape.
  • Kowalski675
    2004-06_RichardandLisa-12overloaded.jpg