2012 ksyrium elite and 11 speed

kjab
kjab Posts: 136
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
Hiya all,

Bit of a noobie at building bikes here. Just about to embark on my first build. I have some 2012 ksyrium elites and thinking of going either ultegra 6700 or 6800. Am I correct in saying that the wheels are compatible with 11 speed, I just need to take the small spacer out of the wheel that would usually go on the freehub, right?

Also, I know there aren't many reviews out there yet but any early thoughts on 6700 vs 6800?

Cheers in advance

Neil

Comments

• foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    Yes, the Mavics will be fine with 11 speed as you describe.
  • foggymike wrote:
    Yes, the Mavics will be fine with 11 speed as you describe.

I thought that it was only 2013 Mavics that were Shimano 11 speed compatible?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    No, they're fine because of the spacer that is used for 10 speed Shimano, you just take it out for 11 speed. The wheels are spaced/dished to work with Campag and Mavic cassettes which are wider. That's why you can just change the freehub to switch from one to another with no hassle. Happy days!
  • foggymike wrote:
    No, they're fine because of the spacer that is used for 10 speed Shimano, you just take it out for 11 speed. The wheels are spaced/dished to work with Campag and Mavic cassettes which are wider. That's why you can just change the freehub to switch from one to another with no hassle. Happy days!

Worth remembering. Thanks!
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • kjab
    kjab Posts: 136
    Cheers, thanks!

Any thoughts on 6800 vs 6700 anyone? :D
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    I rode 6800 this weekend on a Merckx. Compared to my 105 5700 the lever shift throw is smaller. The new brake design seems to be better too. Worth the extra money over the old Ultegra

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/r ... upset.html