Preventing Slippage on Turbo

Hurricane151
Hurricane151 Posts: 632
I have a Tacx Booster Turbo and I have a bit of set up issue. When I have the resistance set high with lower cadence my tyre seems to slip at certain points of the rotation. I have the following

Standard Tyre (conti 4 season)
Tyre at 120psi
Resistance roller as tight as possible on the tyre
Q rings (not sure if it is pedal stroke related

I am looking at possible reasons why I can't get a smooth pedal rotation at higher resistance. At lower power and resistance there doesn't seem to be any issue and the pedal action seems and feels fine.

I am looking to more TT related training and want to use higher resistance but at the moment it's just not possible.
any help appreciated.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,526
    make sure the roller and tyre are free of any grease, dirt etc.

use a trainer-specific tyre (ideally get a cheap wheel to go with it), these have a compound designed to work better on trainers, i use a conti tyre, there's no slippage even over 1kw

some turbos give irregular resistance until they've warmed up, i remember using someone else's and it took ages before it was smooth
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Its a mistake to put more pressure between the roller and tyre to over come slipping. It must be as light as possible to do the job. So a well cleaned tyre is essencial.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Have you tried pedaling less hard?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I have had the slippage thing also so now I always start with a low resistance setting then once up to a good cadence move to more resistance and up the cadence, this seems to work on my turbo.
  • Hurricane151
    Herbsman wrote:
    Have you tried pedaling less hard?

This would work but would kind of defeat the purpose.
  • Hurricane151
    cyco2 wrote:
    Its a mistake to put more pressure between the roller and tyre to over come slipping. It must be as light as possible to do the job. So a well cleaned tyre is essencial.

I'll give this a shot. I always do it to a point where the tyre is quite depressed against the roller
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    IME an indoor turbo tyre gets rid of 99% of slippage issues - night and day compared to a road tyre.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...