Pain just above knee

Jon_1976
Jon_1976 Posts: 690
Wondered if someone could shed some light on this. I've recently getting a pain (or dull ache to be more exact) just above my left knee/bottom of quad at the front. This isn't knee pain, I experienced that when I first started cycling. It feels more like muscle tightness, and I can feel it pretty much all the time when seated, even now.

Whilst on the bike, I usually keep cadence at 90-95 when possible and the ache disappears. Under a moderate effort (with cadence in the low 80's) it returns. I don't think its a bike setup issue. I found if I set the saddle at kops, the ache starts very quickly (accompanied by unusually quad burn). I've currently got the saddle nose set back from the BB about 63mm, which works out about 15mm behind kops. I've found this, with the lemond seat height, engages the hamstrings and flutes to help out the quads. The ache still starts after a while though :cry:

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Sounds like a mild strain, potentially - for which a few days off the bike might be the only answer.
  • cerv50
    cerv50 Posts: 272
    I had a similar pain after my 4x 100 mile Easter rides this year and tbh am only just getting back to riding in the last week or so. I damaged the area where the muscle joins the tendon on my left vatus medialis, the tear drop shaped muscle of the quad. Six weeks of physio including 2 sessions of medical acupuncture later and things have vastly improved. I did ride after the injury occurred prior to going to see the physio and think this made it worse, so be careful. I have lost most of my hard earned winter and spring fitness during to the time off the bike which is really annoying.

My issue was mainly due to a lower back injury about 27 years ago and since then my left hip flexor and hamstring have been getting tighter and tighter without me realising it, cycling didn't cause the muscle issue but did show it up sooner rather than later. Now I do stretching exercises morning and night with spinning turbo sessions 3 times a week.

If the pain continues I would suggest seeing either your gp or a physio.
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    I sometimes get something that at least sounds the same. I find a deep massage once a week gets rid of it. I do it myself using thumbs, its quite painful for the first 5mins but after 15mins the ache / tightness goes.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Sounds like you may need to strengthen and stretch your VMO muscle as it is struggling under the pressure and becoming strained. Worth searching for exercises as it probably wouldn't harm it if I am wrong. X band walks and singe leg squats are a start (from behind a keyboard so likely to be 100% inaccurate)
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Tb2121
    Tb2121 Posts: 73
    sa0u823e wrote:
    Sounds like you may need to strengthen and stretch your VMO muscle as it is struggling under the pressure and becoming strained. Worth searching for exercises as it probably wouldn't harm it if I am wrong. X band walks and singe leg squats are a start (from behind a keyboard so likely to be 100% inaccurate)

Don't stretch and strengthen VMO- this is one of the biggest load of physio rubbish that's recently been shown to have no value- the quads work as a whole unit, trying to strengthen one aspect of it is impossible- they all fire at the same time. Stretching VMO is again impossible to do separately.
    Keeping flexibility In the quads and maintaining good control with a one leg squat or split lunge is key- don't try and strengthen one small aspect- look at the whole kinetic chain and work that and make it functional- VMO training is probably the least functional thing you can do.