New dream bike

edmcc
edmcc Posts: 3
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
My current best bike is a 2005 Omega Alchemy custom made frame, Look HSC5SL forks, 10 speed DA and Hed Jet C6 wheels, which I bought after much discussion on this forum back then.

This bike has served me well for 9 summers and has covered considerable miles of riding - I use it for everything from commuting, club rides, fast teaining rides, sportives, and triathlons.

I am 40 this year and thought I might treat myself to a new bike.

I was thinking of A Bianchi Oltre xr with DA Di2 and Zipp 404 Firecrest wheels. I was hoping to pick one of these up in the autumn at a more recently price than RRP when the new model range is launched - it will still cost more than a bicycle should though.

Two questions:
1. Will I notice an improvement on my current bike
2. What other bikes should I be considering

Thanks

Ed

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Please don't buy a Bianchi with Shimano.

Get the same bike but with Campag.

If this is your budget and your looking for a bike that does everything, may I suggest an Enigma in Ti / custom build.

If you want an Out and Out race weapon, then personally I d get a Cervelo R5.

This months Cycling Plus has a dream bikes supplement , I m dreaming of the Scapin featured in it.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    edmcc wrote:
    My current best bike is a 2005 Omega Alchemy custom made frame, Look HSC5SL forks, 10 speed DA and Hed Jet C6 wheels, which I bought after much discussion on this forum back then.

This bike has served me well for 9 summers and has covered considerable miles of riding - I use it for everything from commuting, club rides, fast teaining rides, sportives, and triathlons.

I am 40 this year and thought I might treat myself to a new bike.

I was thinking of A Bianchi Oltre xr with DA Di2 and Zipp 404 Firecrest wheels. I was hoping to pick one of these up in the autumn at a more recently price than RRP when the new model range is launched - it will still cost more than a bicycle should though.

Two questions:
    1. Will I notice an improvement on my current bike
    2. What other bikes should I be considering

Thanks

Ed
    welcome to the real world! full of manufacturers who have their frames made in the Far East but still think their Italian name will sell their product, and in most cases do. Enigma over here make some nice bikes, and as you have already had an Omega. Don't forget to look at Legend, bikes which really are made in Italy. In this ball park budget wise, Cannondale supersix evo is worth a look, as are Look. Colnago C59 is a bit special, and again made in Italy. I had a look at the Scapins last year at an Italian day at a London dealer, very nice they are too. One thing is for sure, you have a helluva choice.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Another vote for Enigma. Have a word with Jim and the guys in Sussex, they will build you a gorgeous bike in Ti and you can spec it to your hearts (and wallets) content.
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    De rosa super king 888 on campag would be my vote in your price range
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Geometry and fit first, brand second.

At the price point of the Bianchi there are lots of fantastic frames (most, but not all, of which will be made in Taiwan or somewhere nearby). The key is to get a frame where the geometry works for you. For me I work from a top tube of 58 cm give or take 0.5cm. Amongst the top frames this can lead to significant differences in head tube length, from the super aggressive Cipollini frames with a 14.7 cm head tube, the still pretty aggressive Cannondale Supersix, the slightly less aggressive Pinarello Dogma, the middle of the pack Colnago C59, the taller Specialized SL4 and the tall Cervelo R5 at 19.9cm. Of course all head lengths can be altered with spacers and/or different stem angles and partly this will come down to aesthetics of how you want your frame to look. The options are sufficiently varied that you may even decide to go custom in carbon (Legend) or titanium (Legend again or Enigma)

On groupset and wheels, go for what you want. Reality is EPS and Di2 are both fantastic groupsets and the stuff about an Italian groupset on an Italian groupset is just not worth getting bothered about, most of the frames are built in the East, even the C59 which is built in Italy is made from carbon fibre tubes manufactured out East.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Spend a bit less on the road bike and get a full on TT bike for your triathlons ?
  • Rod11
    Rod11 Posts: 293
    Mccaria wrote:
    Geometry and fit first, brand second.
    ^This. I could think of nothing worse than having an absolutely phenomenal bike, and not being comfortable riding it. For that money, I'd want it to fit like a glove. That's why a custom built frame would be perfect, or, spend your time trying bikes that you fancy, why rush it? In that price range you'd be hard pushed to find a bike that isn't fantastic, so chose the one that every time you look at it and ride it, think "wow, that's all mine". Who cares where it's made, what components you have on it, everyone else will be jealous not matter what you do! Hope you find the right bike, and most importantly be sure to post pictures!
  • edmcc
    edmcc Posts: 3
    Thanks for all of the views.

A few points:
    1. I have always ridden on Shimano. I know it and will be sticking with it.
    2. I have riding an Omega Alchemy for many years now. An Enigma is essentially the same bike. I fancy a change so Enigma is out. I don't want any Ti bike, I fancy carbon this time. I still have the bikefitting.com diagram that was printed out when I had the Omega custom made, which I haver to say does feel like it fits me very well. I will be using the geometry from this to assess any potential new bike to make sure it will fit me ok. I don't consider my bodily dimensions to be outside of the norm and so don't anticipate bike fit to be a problem. Surely I can change stems and seatposts if necessary to achieve the same dimesnions as my Omega
    3. Cervelo R5, Cannondale Super Six, De Rosa Super King 888, Spec SL4 are all possibilities. I will also check out Legend and Scapin which i don't know anything about.
    4. I dont like the look of the wavy forks on Pinarello, so I am not considering it. I don't fancy a Colnago.
    5. I don't care where in the world the bike is made, so long as it is very well made. Why should Far East = Poor Quality? I don't know where Bianchi get their frames made, but don't think that the Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team would ride them in the Tour de France is they were anything other than perfectly made. I think the Bianchi is one of the best looking bikes out there, which is important, but not as important as how it rides. I wan't super handling, very light weight and still to be fairly comfortable for the 100+ mile days. Maybe even a 200 miler (I have done one on the Omega)
    6. It has crossed my mind about getting a TT bike for triathlons. I never thought I deserved one though as I do maybe 6 tris a year so I am not like a regular TTer who would get great use of it. Also I am so used to riding a road bike I am not sure that i want to 'learn' how to ride a TT bike - too big a change in position etc? If I got a new road bike I might keep my Omega for tris only as it is pretty quick and has Deda aerobars on and I don't think I want aerobars on my new bike - ruin the look.

Also, have bikes moved on much since 2005? Will i notice that big a difference from my Omega?

Thanks
  • stongle
    stongle Posts: 61
    I'll second Geometry and Fit first. I had a similar budget to you, desperately wanted an Cervelo S5; but could'nt get the right fit. Went for a Madone 7 series in the end, very happy with it. Of course there are a lot of people whom are a bit "meh" about the brand; but you can kill the obvious branding off with the paint options anyway (went for Vapour coat myself). Its an effort to ride anything else, infact a rarely do so it sees commuting duty in and out of London most days.

Obviously there is always an element of subjectivness for super bikes; but the other brand I'd be considering (in fact I am looking at right now for next year) is Storck. If you're budget has some flex; I'd be looking at a 5 kg Fascenario 0.6 build. Nom nom nom..........
    Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
    Wet - 2013 Madone 7 Series
    Commuting & general abuse - Boardman AIR9.2s
    Carbon and electric everything. I've yet to get zapped and nothings melted (yet anyway)
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    storck is a good shout. light, expensive and exclusive. same applies to parlee and legend though. all worth more investigation rather than going main stream.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris