Clicking noise coming from the crank

terryhughes
terryhughes Posts: 62
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello, a recent problem I just can't find where it is coming from. On every turn of the pedals they click at the same point. Everything seems tight and no wobbles it seems to be lees frequesnt after a mile or so but still there.

Any idea anyone?

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Does it happen when you're standing or sitting or both?

Not neccessairily crank, often it is pedals. Also it could be the BB.
  • standing and sitting. by bearings, which ones do you mean? Sorry pretty new to this.

My bike is the Voodoo Hoodoo 12/13 frame
  • Barrelmaker
    Barrelmaker Posts: 188
    Whenever I get creaking like you describe its normally the bottom bracket. Greasing up the axle and the bearings usually does the trick, also make sure everything is tight, pedals, cranks etc.
  • jerryfudd
    jerryfudd Posts: 343
    Had something similar on my bike, turned out to be the pedal.... probably the cheapest thing to replace and easiest thing to try?

Dan
  • Take your pedals off and grease the threads on the pedal, usually the most common cause for squeaks and clicks if your cranks don't feel like they are loose.
    Plus its a really cheap first thing to check.
  • mrlee
    mrlee Posts: 499
    Try ptfe tape (plumbers tape) on the threads of the bb
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Isolate the problem before you start doing random things. No BB needs sticky tape.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mrlee
    cooldad wrote:
    Isolate the problem before you start doing random things. No BB needs sticky tape.

Ptfe tape is thread tape (not sticky). Think your getting it confused with insulation tape (electrical tape). I'm just giving an idea. I've done it on 4 different bikes and it's stopped the clicking noise.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I know what it is. I was just stressing the pointlessness of randomly doing all sorts of stuff without determining what the actual problem is.
    So what BB is a good start?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mrlee
    Obviously if the BB, crank, pedals etc are f**ked, then ptfe tape won't fix it. I'm just giving an alternative to spending needless cash on parts that don't need replacing. Just sharing what worked for me. 4 times. The OP has asked for advice. I'm giving 1 of many options
  • mcdiejdh
    mcdiejdh Posts: 3
    I have a Bantu that did similar so I bounced it back to you know where and said it was either pedals or BB they just took somee new pedals (DMR V8's) off the shelf fitted them said ride round car park for five mins and see if it is sorted. It was so they let me have them FOC job sorted.
  • Thanks all. Will do at the weekend
  • mcdiejdh wrote:
    I have a Bantu that did similar so I bounced it back to you know where and said it was either pedals or BB they just took somee new pedals (DMR V8's) off the shelf fitted them said ride round car park for five mins and see if it is sorted. It was so they let me have them FOC job sorted.

You know where are bloody useless. Had loads of problems with them, changing my chain and no cassette etc. Never again....
  • Carl170
    Carl170 Posts: 99
    I have just had this. I clicked when I was pushing down on the right hand crank. Turned out it was the chainring bolts were loose so the chainring moved slightly under load.

This may help, but you need to isloate the issue first. check chainrings and Swapping pedals will be a start!

Regards

Carl
  • android125
    android125 Posts: 36
    Ive had this before. Tried numerous things but like Carl I found it to be the chainring bolts slightly loose. I would definitely look at them mate.
    Lets Ride!!
    Merida 96 26er
    Stumpjumper FSR 26er
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Check the BB is tightened up in the frame...assuming its threaded
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer