Is the Garmin Vector on it's way to market?

springtide9
springtide9 Posts: 1,731
edited August 2013 in The cake stop
Some details that hint it will be coming in September 2013
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... mber-37956
Simon

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I myself shall be managing without for a little longer.
    I've got the odd grand lying around but don't have enough left over for a new pair of cleats.
    Hoping the more accessible nature of a pedal based system will prompt good uptake from those who can stretch to cleats also. I will then wait in line for economies of scale to kick in. Expect to buy a pair for a fiver around Xmas.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,520
    wonder if they'll beat brim brothers to it!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Bikes will soon have so many added extras on they'll look like the back of a ragmans truck. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    I don't quite see the point in a two pedal torque measurement system, pretty sure ANT+ doesn't transmit fast enough to pick up left/right imbalances and you have twice as much to go wrong. Does it revert to single pedal torque measurement when one battery dies?

A single torque measuring pedal and a dumb pedal would be almost half the price.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    frisbee wrote:
    I don't quite see the point in a two pedal torque measurement system, pretty sure ANT+ doesn't transmit fast enough to pick up left/right imbalances and you have twice as much to go wrong. Does it revert to single pedal torque measurement when one battery dies?

A single torque measuring pedal and a dumb pedal would be almost half the price.

That wouldn't give L/R balance though (not that it's all that useful). If you want cheap then look at the Stages and hope that you don't have a L/R imbalance that introduces a significant error (that may change based on e.g. fatigue).

A single side Vector wouldn't be cheaper anyway - the pricing is based on what people will pay and not what they cost to manufacture.
    More problems but still living....
  • Step_7
    Step_7 Posts: 38
    I wonder if it will still give some sort of data if only one pedal is functioning.... And if so, could you buy a pair and split them between 2 people..... Unlikely I know but will be interesting to see what can be done with them!
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    edited July 2013
    Double post my bad
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    amaferanga wrote:
    frisbee wrote:

That wouldn't give L/R balance though (not that it's all that useful). If you want cheap then look at the Stages and hope that you don't have a L/R imbalance that introduces a significant error (that may change based on e.g. fatigue).

A single side Vector wouldn't be cheaper anyway - the pricing is based on what people will pay and not what they cost to manufacture.

And the cost for research/development which it would appear has taken them a hell of a long time. Obviously this cost is the same whether you sell the customer 1 or 2 pedals aswell.
  • Step_7 wrote:
    I wonder if it will still give some sort of data if only one pedal is functioning.... And if so, could you buy a pair and split them between 2 people..... Unlikely I know but will be interesting to see what can be done with them!

No, this isn't possible as the left-hand pedal is essentially an axillary pedal in terms of the ANT+ signal, the main signal comes from the right-hand pedal to your headunit.