Chain Reaction Cycles

scrumpymonkey
scrumpymonkey Posts: 49
edited July 2013 in MTB general
Hi,

Just a quick post to gauge anyone's experience with buying bikes from CRC. I've just tried to order a discounted bike which the website claims is in stock. An hour later I've received an email that says that the bike isn't in stock and my order has been cancelled.

I wouldn't think anything of this but my sister had exactly the same thing happen to her a few weeks ago. Not sure what is going on here, are they just a big busy company who haven't updated there site very quickly or could there be something slightly more sinister going on? I dunno maybe trying to lure you in with a fantastic looking deal and then finding that you can't actually get that deal and end up spending your cash on a far more lucrative (for CRC) purchase? :shock:

Thoughts, experiences anyone?

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    A mate of mine had a similar problem where they couldn't find the bike anywhere in the warehouse. They offered him discount on an alternative purchase.

Bear in mind they are a pretty huge organisation so these things will occasionally happen
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • y2blade
    y2blade Posts: 31
    On the flip-side I Have used them a LOT..never had an issue.

no affiliation with CRC here, just a very happy customer.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    The CRC website does update quantities in real time. So if you wanted to know how many of something is in stock enter a large number and you can work back the figure.
    On something like a bike I would imagine the probability of cosmetic damage is higher so it's less reliable.

A couple of months back I ordered an Ultegra crankset from them and one of the teeth was bent over. Probably dropped by some monkey.Free returns so it was of no consequence.
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    Never bought a bike from them but have bought lots of other stuff. Very impressed. They can be a little slower to despatch than others, especially the Germans who are super quick but CRC are a delight to work with when something goes wrong. Others are less so. When I have had warranty issues with CRC they have been near on instant in their response while others (the Germans) have got the job done, but with a little more hassle and less speed.

I for one am a pretty big fan. They can be slower and a little more expensive than some others, but when the crap goes wrong, you can rely on them and that is big in my book.

By the way, no affliliation...
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    CRC and Merlin are my go to guys - never bought a bike off CRC but I have bought all manner of other stuff including a turbo trainer (shipped to Canada and arrived within a week) and never had any issues. Returns are easy peasy too.

Never had an issue with something not being available after ordering - maybe they accepted two orders at the same time and had an issue that way? Dunno, that doesnt sound likely! If I were complaining about something its that all their products remain visible on the site even when there is nothing in stock of that and no plans to restock - can get irritating if looking for a general product on price or something.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Yeah, I've had no problems with other smaller value items and this would have been the first bike I purchased from them but seemed a bit of a coincidence that this happened to both my sister and I only a few weeks apart.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    What bikes?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    raldat wrote:
    They can be a little slower to despatch than others, especially the Germans

I've always found them very quick to despatch - of a dozen orders, only one hasn't arrived next day (that one took 2 days). My last two orders were placed in the early hours of the morning, when most sensible people are asleep, but both had been despatched by 10am of the same day, and were with me the next day - can't get much faster than that.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    could there be something slightly more sinister going on? I dunno maybe trying to lure you in with a fantastic looking deal and then finding that you can't actually get that deal and end up spending your cash on a far more lucrative (for CRC) purchase?
    Er. Nope. I doubt that.
  • Kowalski675
    could there be something slightly more sinister going on? I dunno maybe trying to lure you in with a fantastic looking deal and then finding that you can't actually get that deal and end up spending your cash on a far more lucrative (for CRC) purchase?

Standard sales tactic in the motor industry, but I can't really see how it would work on a mail order transaction.
  • could there be something slightly more sinister going on? I dunno maybe trying to lure you in with a fantastic looking deal and then finding that you can't actually get that deal and end up spending your cash on a far more lucrative (for CRC) purchase?

Standard sales tactic in the motor industry, but I can't really see how it would work on a mail order transaction.
    I didn't make a big deal about it but my sister emailed them and they suggested some pretty poor alternatives that didn't come close to the spec of the bike she had originally ordered.
    I know it's a mad dash when stuff gets put in clearance corner but I don't know, must just be getting old and cynical :roll:
  • iand-83
    iand-83 Posts: 132
    I have ordered a few things from them, had problems with a set of gloves they sent out a replacement pair which also failed so they replaced them with a different make of glove which so far is going ok.
  • Kowalski675
    It happens all the time in car/motorcycle sales - advertise a non existent vehicle deal to get you through the door, then say "Oh, sorry, we literally just sold that one, but we can do you this one for twice the price...", but in your case I'd be inclined to think it's a genuine mistake, or delay in updating the website (having seen pics of their warehouse, it is a very large facility, so stock errors are bound to happen). Similar (but smaller) thing happened to me just recently with All Terrain Cycles. They had Bontrager XR3 Team Issues listed on their site as in stock at a heavily reduced price, so I ordered them and opted to collect them from the warehouse, but when they looked for them they relaised they had no stock. Genuine mistake, and they ordered some in for me for next day (so probably made little or nothing on the sale).
  • mmmcheese
    mmmcheese Posts: 52
    only bought a small things of them (chain, tubes, helmit, shoes ect.) and never had a problem usually pretty good delivery time as well
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Once happened to me with leisure lakes, I ordered a 2010 camelbak but they hadn't updated the site, so they game me a 2011 for the same price...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.