It's a poor show that Wiggins hasn't congratulated Froome

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
Does anyone else think its a bit 'off' that Sir Bradley Wiggins hasn't publicly - by way of media interview, or press release through Sky/Team Sky - congratulated Chris Froome for his Tour de France win?

Now, those of you who are predisposed to disagreeing with me, yes, Sir Wiggins doesn't need to. I get that. However, given that we know Wiggins never accepted the decision to let Froome contest the Tour at the sacrifice of his own chance and we know there is friction between the two, wouldn't - especially as Wiggins was injured anyway - a public congratulatory message been a great display of good sportsmanship?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Does it need doing in public or you peeved that he might have done and you don't know about it!
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I'm certain he will have done so privately already, but I do agree, a public congratulation would have been nice idea.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I care about this about the same as I care about what the royal baby is called.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Sketchley wrote:
    I care about this about the same as I care about what the royal baby is called.....

LIKE!
  • DonDaddyD
    edited July 2013
    Interesting, according to Sky:

Chris Froome yet to hear from 2012 Tour de France winner Sir Bradley Wiggins

And personally I think its bad sportsmanship, we know Wiggins had issues with Froome succeeding him to the extent of loosing the chance to defend his title. But for the sake of appearing professional, being a good sportsman and congratulating another British winner, he should have said something by now. His silience only helps to fuel the belief that there is a rift between them. IMO.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    They dont get along, Bradley is on the way down Chris is on the way up.

They are professionals who happen to be on the same team. Why does he have to publicly congratulate him?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ...for the sake of appearing professional, being a good sportsman and congratulating another British winner, he should have said something by now.
    See, this is why he hasn't. Wiggo doesn't go with this business of doing something in order to appear professional etc. He's been ousted by a better rider; why should he go through the motions of an empty & meaningless show of congratulations when world + dog would know he doesn't mean it, and he doesn't mean it? When someone pops up an all-singing all-dancing Stats site with APIs to Strava, Runtastic etc and auto upload of GPX files from your device, he/she shouldn't sit waiting poised for the congratulatory message from me. Actually he probably should, but that ruins my point here.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Interesting, according to Sky:

Chris Froome yet to hear from 2012 Tour de France winner Sir Bradley Wiggins

And personally I think its bad sportsmanship, we know Wiggins had issues with Froome succeeding him to the extent of loosing the chance to defend his title. But for the sake of appearing professional, being a good sportsman and congratulating another British winner, he should have said something by now. His silience only helps to fuel the belief that there is a rift between them. IMO.

:lol: It really isn't a secret they dislike each other.

To the point they can't race on the same team.
  • DonDaddyD
    rubertoe wrote:
    They are professionals who happen to be on the same team. Why does he have to publicly congratulate him?
    Because they are professionals who happen to be on the same team from the same nation. The nation was so proud when Wiggins became the first British winner of the Tour de France that they knighted him. His achievement was a testament to British Cycling, the time and money invested into it.

Surely Wiggins should put aside his own personal issues and congratulate his teammate and country man publicly and pay homage to the British Cycling setup for delivering two British Grand Tour champs in successive years.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    CiB wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ...for the sake of appearing professional, being a good sportsman and congratulating another British winner, he should have said something by now.
    See, this is why he hasn't. Wiggo doesn't go with this business of doing something in order to appear professional etc. He's been ousted by a better rider; why should he go through the motions of an empty & meaningless show of congratulations when world + dog would know he doesn't mean it, and he doesn't mean it? When someone pops up an all-singing all-dancing Stats site with APIs to Strava, Runtastic etc and auto upload of GPX files from your device, he/she shouldn't sit waiting poised for the congratulatory message from me. Actually he probably should, but that ruins my point here.
    What happened to British fair play, sportsmanship and the stiff upper lip. I'd expect this spiteful behaviour from Americans.
    Food Chain number = 4

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    There are far bigger problems in the world.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Because they are professionals who happen to be on the same team from the same nation.

What difference does that make?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    Did Froome congratulate Wiggins last year?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    davis wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Because they are professionals who happen to be on the same team from the same nation.

What difference does that make?
    And they are not really anyway. Flag of convenience. Chris will never live in Britain.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rubertoe
    I'm not sure being from the same nation means anything. It might be a poor show, but that doesnt mean he should do it.

Don't get me wrong, there is no bigger supporter in the world of Sir Brad than me, Heck he was the one single guy that inspired me to get back on the bike
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    Who cares
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,177
    Depends... if in his contract it is clear he has to update his tweeter account and say nice things about his team mates, then I agree, otherwise he can do as he likes... and if he doesn't want to tweet, it's his life, isn't it? Are we getting too carried away with these social networks? Maybe he talked at the phone with the guy for an hour and we don't know... maybe he resents him, he is a man and he is allowed to have his own feelings, for the good or for the bad, he can't be the person you want him to be, FFS!
    left the forum March 2023
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I heard the Wiggins duo had both deleted their twitter accounts anyway.
  • DonDaddyD
    Dear Wiggins apologists,

The guy is the team Captain and a member of his team has won a major competition, if not THE major competition.

Regardless of whether he wanted that glory for himself you'd expect the Captain to come out and say "I'd like to congratulate [insert team mate's name] on their excellent win at this years [insert competition name]".

He could even go on to say something self serving like "I wish I was there but I couldn't"

It also wouldn't hurt to congratulate the rest of the teams contribution at the tour. Acknowledgement to Geraint Thomas who rode to Paris with a broken pelvis and encouraging the new young talent.

I mean those guys will be expected to ride for him at some point in the future and all you get from your Captain is silence and begrudgement. It's not on.
    Food Chain number = 4

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Why does the public need to know though? I honestly believe most people haven't batted an eyelid.
  • rubertoe
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Dear Wiggins apologists,

The guy is the team Captain and a member of his team has won a major competition, if not THE major competition.

Regardless of whether he wanted that glory for himself you'd expect the Captain to come out and say "I'd like to congratulate [insert team mate's name] on their excellent win at this years [insert competition name]".

He could even go on to say something self serving like "I wish I was there but I couldn't"

It also wouldn't hurt to congratulate the rest of the teams contribution at the tour. Acknowledgement to Geraint Thomas who rode to Paris with a broken pelvis and encouraging the new young talent.

I mean those guys will be expected to ride for him at some point in the future and all you get from your Captain is Public silence and begrudgement. It's not on.

FTFY

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Oh really, who gives a shiny sh!t about a (lack of) congratulation DDD?

You're taking umbrage on someone else's behalf now?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • DonDaddyD
    No I just think it is bad sport not to congratulate your teammate.

This guy was knighted for the exact same win, oh how the Country celebrated, should we all have shrugged our shoulders and said "who gives a f*ck?"
    Food Chain number = 4

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    No I just think it is bad sport not to congratulate your teammate.

This guy was knighted for the exact same win, oh how the Country celebrated, should we all have shrugged our shoulders and said "who gives a f*ck?"
    Well, was more for the brief stint as most successful Olympian (by one measure) capped by the TdF win. Froome 'only' has the TdF, so I doubt we'll see Sir Froomey just yet, he'll need to win it again for that I'd think. Would be nice of Wiggins to congratulate him but there's no obligation
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    He hasn't congratulated Will and Kate either.

He should be stripped of the Knighthood.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • CiB
    He said in his autobiography last year that he hadn't got round to thanking the team mates who helped him to last year's TdF win, so either he was avoiding thanking Froome then or he just doesn't do the thanks very much lads in the traditional sense.

I really do think there's nothing to this. Wiggo is what he is; who cares if his attitudes vary from the public's perceived need to see him gush all over Froome & this year's team?
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Wasn't there some spat between his missus and Froome's missus last year? Maybe she's threatened him with no more sex if he were to congratulate his teammate?!
  • CiB
    What's that? Wiggo is doing Froomey's bird? No wonder they don't get on.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    CiB wrote:

Or maybe Wiggo's bird did Froomey's bird and Froomey's bird wouldn't let Wiggo watch. That would explain it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • CiB wrote:
    Cath would tear his balls off for that. She's lovely but I reckon she's as hard as ...