Adverts following you down the page

Brakeless
Brakeless Posts: 865
edited July 2013 in The cake stop
How annoying are they - adverts that feel like they're stalking you and at the moment it's for a car, on a cycling forum. Which ever bright spark thought this was a good idea should be sacked on the spot!

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    as I have said elsewhere - something that rhymes with "nad socker"
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Fecking annoying!
    Almost putting me off coming on this site whilst at work.
    Probably shouldn't anyway and some would be relieved. :wink:

As it is a work's machine, I can't install anything to do with nads. :lol:

Get it sorted, please.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Firefox, AdBl0ck Plus, job done.

Edit: amazing censorship replacement of 'Ad Bl o ck Plus'. :D
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • There are three ways to deal with this...

1 - As mentioned, install something that blokes adverbs whilst hoping that sufficient other people don't so as not to completely break the model of advertising revenue for free sites, otherwise you'll be into having to pay up for everything.

2 - Only use sites where "free to use, funded by advertising" isn't the business model.

3 - Realise that you're actually getting something for free, get a grip, and stop moaning.
    Mangeur
  • Brakeless
    There are three ways to deal with this...

1 - As mentioned, install something that blokes adverbs whilst hoping that sufficient other people don't so as not to completely break the model of advertising revenue for free sites, otherwise you'll be into having to pay up for everything.

2 - Only use sites where "free to use, funded by advertising" isn't the business model.

3 - Realise that you're actually getting something for free, get a grip, and stop moaning.

with regard to number 3. If the site loses users then they'll struggle to get advertisers so it's in the sites interest not to do things such as this that may lose them users.

Advertisers will also be less likely to pay to be on sites if they think everyone is using ad blockers.

I've got no real problem with adverts just not these really annoying ones, we're not really getting something for nothing, we as users enable the site to generate income. There should be a balance between giving the users want they want to make us visit the site and generating good revenue from advertisers. Doing things that lose the site users doesn't benefit anyone!
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    There will always be a plentiful supply of people who don't block ads - who either can't (or can't be bothered to) install something that does.

So I'm not losing any sleep worrying about whether my blocking them is going to suddenly put BR out of business.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    They are really properly horrible. I don't mind the usual banner adverts but these are too much, way too much.
    It also seriously slows the site down as my browser / computer tries to cope with the animations etc.

Get rid of them.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    For this very reason I installed an ad blocker. Never used to bother me too much, hey someone's got to pay for BR. But they've made me get an ad blocker and now the site runs like a well oiled chain.
  • daviesee
    So, in conclusion - these specific ads are losing viewings of the other non-annoying ads.

Lesson to be learned BR.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I just complained about this in Bike Radar Office before I saw this thread, now have ad blocker installed on Firefox and problem solved :D
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • daviesee
    Affirmative action seems to have been taken. :P

You can switch off your "nad sockers" now. :wink:
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I've never considered using adblock until now. Of course once I start using it all adverts will be blocked, not just the super annoying ones.
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    I find Ghostery does a more thorough job, blocking trackers, ads, analytics etc.
    And the word doesn't appear to be censored here...yet!
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    there is no need for full length adverts like that. if anything it just makes them look desperate.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Finally given in and installed the Chrome extension to prevent them showing so I now have the less intrusive ads blocked that never previously bothered me. It's not like I'm ever going to click on an ad so it's just background noise making the site less appealing.
  • Brakeless
    ad b lock installed. Now I see no adds! Great thinking at Bike radar!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    get an ip address outside the UK, no ads following me down the page :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    I posted what I thought was a funny thread a while ago: 'Underscore competition' - Who can come up with a sentance of no more than 20 words with the most underscored words.
    Then I found out it was just me (or should I say, my computer) - every other key word on BR like 'cycle' and 'pedal' and 'link' had an underscore and when you clicked on it, it sent you to a web site offering you a chance to win an iphone.
    No more underscores, thank feck: Adblocker.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    That was even spookier. Someone wrote

**Nobody likes ads but they pay for the site so please have the class not to whine about them**.

at the bottom of my post.
  • pinno
    Just dipping my toes in...
  • daviesee
    daviesee wrote:
    Affirmative action seems to have been taken. :P

You can switch off your "nad sockers" now. :wink:
    .....and they are back. This time at home. :(

Sorted now that I am in charge of downloads. :P

That's the consequences.
  • pinno
    I got it - Nad Socker. Aaah silly me.

Shall I try it? Adflocker....
  • pinno
    Adcrocker...
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Adcrocker...

sad focker :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Also worth installing something like NoScript for Firefox and NEVER letting anything with Google in it have script permissions (they are responsible for a lot of ads popping up on sites). In fact, never let any site you don't trust with your life have script permissions and you'll be surprised just how little crap the internet throws at you.