Any Doc's/medics here? V low RHR

rebsn
rebsn Posts: 4
Hi

I've recently been reading my RHR and it's often in the high 30/low 40 range.

I've been cycling for around 6 months now and would class myself as being moderately fit, but not super fit as my heart rate would suggest! When I do exercise, I tend to have a high HR in respect to the intensity of the work (brisk walking usually gets me in the 130s).

I'm 24, female and small build. Don't really want to go to the docs about it as I'm not sure there's anything 'wrong', but does this seem strange to anyone else?

Comments

• zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    Assuming you are not on any medication low RHR can be due to a number of things like hypothyroidism or having too much Potassium in your bloodstream but most likely is just that you are reasonably fit and that is just the rate for you. Mine is now around 48 (I'm slightly older than you at 57..) but when I was a competetive athlete it was around 40 its just a sign that your heart is working efficiently.

If you are not experiencing any other symptoms like fainting or dizzy spells then there is almost certainly nothing to worry about but if it is concerning you then make a trip to the docs it would be worthwhile to put your mind at rest.
  • I'd start worrying when it gets down to around zero or you pass out a lot
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • While low RHR is not uncommon amongst fit aerobic athletes, this is not the place for medical advice. If you are at all concerned about your health (heart or otherwise), seek out a medical professional. It might perhaps help to find one that understands athletes.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Things to think about - as others have said - do you feel okay otherwise? Do you sleep well etc? Has it got lower as you've exercised more or has it always been that low? Are you taking medications that might lower it? Do you have low RHR in the family? If you are in any way concerned speak to a medical professional. If you are suffering from any symptoms you think might be related see someone SOON! You only have one heart and you will need it for quite a while! Be informed by all means but I wqouldn't use the internet to diagnose this kind of concern.
  • rebsn
    rebsn Posts: 4
    Thanks for the replies folks.

No medications or other symptoms so I'm assuming I've just got an efficient heart.

I'm well aware that I should go to the doctors if I'm worried - that's not the case, was just putting the feelers out to see people's opinions. Thanks for the concern anyway :)
  • sumitkaria
    sumitkaria Posts: 32
    sounds physiological but get a ECG for reassurance (via your GP). Check thyroid function as suggested.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    my rhr is about the same as yours, probably worth getting it checked out but you'll more than likely be fine. ask your parents what theirs is, my mum's is also really low and so i think mine is genetic.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes