Cervical Spondylosis shortening my rides

Rulebritania
Rulebritania Posts: 209
I have Cervical spondylosis a fusing of the spinal bones in my neck. So far I have reversed the stem and fitted an extender, I take 2 zapain pain killers. However after 27miles or so the pain is back. I did 34miles once and was in bits at the end. Any sensible advice would be gratefully taken.
Don't call me sir I work for a living

Comments

• frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    A lot of people without neck and back conditions can still get back pain on longer rides, even a little bit of stretching makes a big difference for me.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Try getting a quality Bike Fit sorted. Speak to the person beforehand to see how much they know about neck/ back issues. I take Zapain for a shoulder condition, if it stops working in under 2 hours something is not right with the bike set up.
  • Rulebritania
    mattv wrote:
    Try getting a quality Bike Fit sorted. Speak to the person beforehand to see how much they know about neck/ back issues. I take Zapain for a shoulder condition, if it stops working in under 2 hours something is not right with the bike set up.

Cheers mate, never though of that. Its a pain (pardon the pun)
  • Tb2121
    Tb2121 Posts: 73
    Bike fit is key, but also try to use your eyes rather than your neck to look ahead. Cervical spondylosis affects the joints of the neck- neck extension (posture on the bike)- will cause these joints to become irritated- as they come into closer proximity with each other during this movement, therefore keeping your neck in a neutral to slightly flexed position will take the load off the joints- but will require to use your eyes to look ahead of you.
  • Rulebritania
    Tb2121 wrote:
    Bike fit is key, but also try to use your eyes rather than your neck to look ahead. Cervical spondylosis affects the joints of the neck- neck extension (posture on the bike)- will cause these joints to become irritated- as they come into closer proximity with each other during this movement, therefore keeping your neck in a neutral to slightly flexed position will take the load off the joints- but will require to use your eyes to look ahead of you.

Whilst the idea is very good but I wear specs I don't have the money to spend on glasses so extended periods will tire my eyes. But I'll certainly give it a go to by riding on the hoods mostly and then short periods on the drops will ease both.
  • Consider a 'bent? Quite popular in some circles.
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    I have had cervical spondylosis for many years (30+), I find that if I stop for something I rotate my neck and also use a back and forward motion to stretch everything helps.
    Managed the Dunwich dynamo over the weekend and being oldish it took me quite a few hours. Most everything else was hurting at the end but not my neck!!
  • Tb2121
    Tb2121 Posts: 73
    Tb2121 wrote:

Whilst the idea is very good but I wear specs I don't have the money to spend on glasses so extended periods will tire my eyes. But I'll certainly give it a go to by riding on the hoods mostly and then short periods on the drops will ease both.

It's either tired eyes or painful neck- no other way round it I'm afraid.
  • Rulebritania
    I'm happy to do 27-30 miles per ride and be relatively pain free. I will work on my pace on the short ride by comparison with so many.