Packing the bike for the Alps

dhooper7
dhooper7 Posts: 156
edited July 2013 in MTB general
Off to Morzine next weekend, first time.
I'm packing my bike into a soft shell Polaris bike bag.

Any tips for packing or in general...?
2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yep sling it on the back of the car and drive.

come on give a bit more, plane. car. bus. walking....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    Sorry...
    Flying
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Remove rear mech, remove bars and tape to top tube. brace forks with ideally an old hub or wood block. remove pedals. If you're really concerned buy some pipe lagging from B&Q and cover everything.

TBH MTBs are really tough, it'll take far more abuse from a weeks Alpine riding than it will from getting 'the treatment' from a bag thrower, their sheer weight and size means they won't get the worst of it.

The worse that's happened to me was a slightly bent brake disc, so I stow them in my hand luggage now, but that was a one-off.

Best advice? Arrive early at the airport, you're going to be going through the over-sized luggage desk after checking in, it's like checking in twice, and if everyone on the plane turns up with a bike they might not all be allowed on.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Wheels off, tape bubble wrap or pipe lagging or combination to main tubes, old hub (or cut piece of copper tube and use QR to hold in drop outs to brace rear and front, bars off and tape to bubble wrap on frame, tape cranks to stop spinning, make sure you have spacers in brakes, I usually remove the discs too and pack in cardboard. Pack tools to put bike together, chuck bike and wheels in bag, add helmet, shoes and pads if space.

Dont put too much in your bike bag the airport can be funny about it and dont make it over 32kg.

Take spare brake pads, tubes and maybe a tyre, if you have odd spokes take spares (eg Mavic blade style ones), dont rely on frenchy bike shops to have replacement stock for anything as they are often useless.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    ask your lbs for one of the cardboard boxes the new bikes come in and use it to line you bike bag for a bit of extra protection, makes a big difference. if the bike bag has got and over the shoulder carry straps or any othere big loops, remove them if you can. the baggae breakers use them to haul the bags all over and they jusp rip the sides of most bags