Anyone ride a Lynskey OS Helix

n4th4n007
n4th4n007 Posts: 364
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
Going to treat myself next year as its my 40th and thinking of something a little different to a matt black carbon super weight.

Always loved the Lynskey Helix but wanted to hear it from owners how they ride, how they build up.

Loving this one found on web:

Lynskey_Helix_bike.jpg?width=800

Comments

• bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    One thing I've never been convinced of is the twisted tubing helping anything, in the same way that Pina's wibbly forks just look like a marketing exercise to me.

The Helix is lovely looking mind.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Its a nice bike, a little different. But a Rourke 953 is even nicer and totally different ;-)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    From what I've read it's so stiff it kinda negates the point of using titanium. If you want stiff then get carbon, if you want the Ti ride get a normal Ti frame, only thing going for it really is the unique look but that would only make sense for someone with loads of cash and as a 3rd or 4th bike rather than a main bike.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    nferrar wrote:
    From what I've read it's so stiff it kinda negates the point of using titanium. If you want stiff then get carbon, if you want the Ti ride get a normal Ti frame, only thing going for it really is the unique look but that would only make sense for someone with loads of cash and as a 3rd or 4th bike rather than a main bike.

You can have a stiff, but compliant frame. Carbon tends to be stiff, but not compliant. Ti tends to be compliant but not stiff.

I guess its a question as to whether the Helix is a "best of both worlds" frame, or worst of both worlds. Depends on what floats your boat (or sinks it)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Stiff in a bad way as in as well as beefing up the lateral stiffness (a good thing) they also increased the vertical stiffness (or reduced the compliance, whichever way you look at it).