Is this a good idea

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
I came across this and I can't decide if its a good idea or not.
I suppose it could work to get people riding, but they won't be riding properly, like wot we do.
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• Wow... $1300 for a 5k range at 5kph plus and extra 15lbs of weight to carry; sounds cheaper to take a taxi!
    If people really do want this sort of thing on their bikes, they are not riding for the right reasons.

I think there is a lot of work to do making a product like this more viable for everyday users - lower price - higher speed (probably a legislation issue) - longer range - faster charging (more likely a KERS system) and lower weight - all need to be addressed in version 2.0.
  • Mr.Duck
    Mr.Duck Posts: 174
    Energy recovery like KERS can never work on a bike because it charges under heavy braking. If you are using the brakes that much regularly, then something is going very wrong.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    No, wont work with mudguards or a rack fitted and will cause the tyre to wear faster
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    gbsahne wrote:
    No, wont work with mudguards or a rack fitted and will cause the tyre to wear faster

Maybe no bad thing if you are running Marathon Plus......!

Got to be very mechanically inefficient that method of driving the wheel. My problem with this idea is that I think people who buy electric bikes either buy them and are happy with them ever more and don't need or want a bike without a motor - or they are people who buy electric bikes because they don't have confidence in themselves to ride a normal bike and eventually sell the electric bike and graduate onto a conventional bike when they realise they can pedal. Neither group would probably need this device.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    sinclair made this 20 years ago, 2 different models both called zeta and both useless (otherwise we would all have 1 on the bike)

I worked on one in a bike shop, poorly made, didn't really line up with the wheel that well and parts were not available in those days (even now it will be spares sent from china so 30-45 days for delivery ...... thank you ebay)

and they cost a fortune and were bolted to £300 trek, I suppose that is 1 way of doubling the cost of your bike.....

not to mention the weight and the batteries and you lose your pannier rack if you use 1......... and you would need an alloy if not steel seatpost for the load of that exhaust clamp.....

it was a lose / lose situation
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Electric bikes cost a fortune,

Mopeds cost under a grand to buy, a £100 training day to drive it and you're off.... Unlimited range and easy instant re-charge at any petrol station.

I know which would get my money if I wanted cheap assisted motoring.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    I do understand that for some people, electric bikes are appropriate and understandable device for them to get around...but mostly, aren't they missing the point of cycling?

As in it's healthy (if you pedal that is)
    As in it's environmentally friendly (if you dont need to constantly charge it up)
    As in it sorts the nodders from the real cyclists (JOKE!!!!!!!!!)

Seriously, I dont want what are essentially restricted and unlicensed mopeds ridden by untrained riders to take over the cycle lane/ASL. It's the 2 wheeled equivilent of the mobility scooter (those things which race about on pavements and which contribute to their owners getting even fatter and unhealthier - yes there are genuine exceptions to this stereotype, I know)
  • Gallywomack
    Gallywomack Posts: 823
    If the idea is that you go around hopping on and off bike-share bikes, affixing your motor each time for effortless progress around the city, surely any gains you may realise when riding are more than offset by having to carry what looks like quite a bulky, heavy object around with you the rest of the time?

I dunno, I don't like motorised bikes. There's a bloke who I sometimes see on my morning commute who zips along the OKR with a motor strapped to his MTB frame. The very sight of him causes me deep annoyance, although that's mainly due to the fact that his serial RLJing and constant effortless mid-20s pace means I have no chance of scalping him. The first time I say him I was so confused - how the hell is this spoddy-looking bloke going so fast on a MTB with such a slow, relaxed cadence? The penny only dropped when I noticed what looked like a mini plastic bin lid on his rear hub.

Anyway, I digress...electric bikes bad.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Hmm - don't like the device as it's not really going to work well ... you're hardly likely to cart something round that big and heavy and jump on a bike anyway!

As for electric bikes - I can see their use. Especially for those who want a bike as transport but don't have the fitness to achieve the distances required - mainly the older generation who may be loosing fitness but don't want to give up the bike just yet. I have no issue with riders choosing electrical assist - providing they ride it like a bike and obey the usual rules.

I did get scalped by a couple of riders - one was on a normal road bike - the bloke - riding hard up a Provence hill - followed closely by (I assume) his wife on an electric assist bike - superb idea if your better half wants to ride but doesn't have the pace you don't want to slow down to her pace! :)