going down the tubeless route with Bonty Big Earls...

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited July 2013 in MTB general
After my devastating flat (wasn't that bad flat really...but pretty f.ing annoying!) in the Mega qualifier I think I've decided to go tubeless on the DH bike

Has anyone done a successful conversion with Bontrager Big Earl rims? Or know any reason not to with these rims?

The Session is in need of a new set of rubber anyway - so could use a tried and tested tyre for the job but would prefer to go Conti Der Kaiser or Spesh Butcher (or been looking at the Bonty's own G4 which looks like it might be good for 'round these parts too)

Big Earls...tubeless?
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I know a couple people who have done it using cheap rim tape and tractor tyre sealant solution on Big Earls.
    The G4's are very good, I have a set. The G-Muds are also extremely good when it gets swampy.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    OK - think I'll just grab some valves and whack some tape on and see what happens.

Der Kaiser vs Butcher vs G4 - surely it's not gonna come down to matching up Bonty logos on rims and tyres, that'd just be daft...
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    Not sure about what you are asking but... Went tubeless with some XR3's on non tubeless Mavic rims. 1st day they lost their pressure. Re-pressurised them and hit the trails. Was nervous as felt different. Light springy and sounded hollow. Once got got used to them I live them. Well worth the upgrade and I noticed a performance difference (something I didnt think I would). They grip a lot better and touch wood no punctures! Could not go back to tubes. They have not lost pressure since either. Must be bedding in time the 1st 24 hours and 1st ride. Apparently Bontrager developed tubeless and are the best tyres to use or was. Not sure how much truths in that though.