Newbie with hydraulic issues!

dannyblow
dannyblow Posts: 4
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, didnt see a newbies section as such so i thought id post straight in here with my problem!

Iv recently bought a new bike, a Cube Analog Disc, just a basic entry level bike but it does what i need it to!

Now although the bike is only about 6 months old and not really had a 'hard' ride, my front brake has decided to not work as well as it use to.

As im new to hydraulics, i went to 3 local bike stores, all of them said the same thing, that the pads are contaminated, or there might be an air lock..

So iv changed the pads and also bled the brakes like they told me to, but still no luck..

I have however noticed a very tiny leak on the brake lever itself, could this cause the problem?

I have not touched any part of the brake lever for it to even be leaking, so could it be just a manufacturer fault?

Sorry for the long story! Hope someone can help, thanks!

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What are the brakes and how'd you bleed them then?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What is the symptom, lever coming back to the bars with no pressure or normal lever and no fricition?

Fluid leaking out usually means air leaking in....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dannyblow
    The brakes are Shimano BR-M445, and i bled them by releasing the bleed nipple and pumping the brake lever while pouring in the new fluid (this is how the shop told me).

The lever doesnt come all the way back to the bars, but it comes quite a good way with not alot of friction, it slows me down gradually no matter how hard i pull the lever..

I just remember they were alot sharper from new.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The shop were morons, go to shimano techdocs and see how to do it properly.

Probably got fluid on the pads while bleading it, new pads time really.

Please tell me you used mineral fluid and not DOT brake fluid.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dannyblow
    But i even swapped the rear pads to the front and it was still the same?

Thanks, il take a look at shimano techdocs, and yes i used mineral oil :D