GPS apps that do not require cellular data?

rich_p
rich_p Posts: 21
edited July 2013 in MTB general
Has anyone used an iphone app that doesn't require a data connection? Much like a true GPS unit?

All I've found so far is Motion-x gps, I'm not sure how good it will be though.

The reason I ask is I have an iphone 3G sitting in the draw at home that I can wipe and use purely as a GPS/cycle computer and I don't want to put a simcard in it.

I use everytrail on my iphone 5 at the monent to track my rides but it requires a data connection. Stava and Endomondo are often mentioned but do they require a data connection too?

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Neither Strava or Endomondo, or most of the others require a data connection except when you're uploading rides.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I run Strava with the phone in 'flight' mode, then upload the data when I get home to wifi. Viewranger is an excellent bit of software that turns your phone into something more akin to a Garmin, but you need to purchase the OS maps to use it fully. I'm sure it will track you with no OS maps, and then you could upload your data to something like bikehike...
  • rich_p
    Neither Strava or Endomondo, or most of the others require a data connection except when you're uploading rides.

Will the map still display or will I just see a line going across a blank screen?
  • markhewitt1978
    Rich_p wrote:

Will the map still display or will I just see a line going across a blank screen?

You don't normally run a map display on these apps anyway, although you can when you have a data connection. You'll see a readout of your distance, time taken etc, the map won't load up. But then I just leave the phone in my pocket so a map view wouldn't be much use.
  • rich_p
    Ah ok.

I was kind of hoping for something that could display a map at the same time so we could make a decsion on where to go next.

I'll give it a whirl anyway and see how I get on with it.

Thanks
  • markhewitt1978
    Rich_p wrote:
    Ah ok.

I was kind of hoping for something that could display a map at the same time so we could make a decsion on where to go next.

I'll give it a whirl anyway and see how I get on with it.

What you probably want is the likes of Viewranger or Open Cycling Maps which will have maps stored on the phone, so you don't need to download them. I use Viewranger myself, but it is costly to get OS maps of the full UK.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Orux Maps for Android has OS maps and allows you to save map tiles onto SD card.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I use "Outdoor NAV" on my windows phone, which lets you choose a section of map to download before you head out, so you can use it where there's no signal. It's a pretty good app, and offers all the Open maps (opencycle, openhiking, openpiste etc), as well as Bing maps, Google, Yahoo and Nokia.
    It also lets you import/export GPX files so you can plan routes beforehand.
    There must be a version of it on iPhone, I'd imagine.
  • mediamonkey
    mediamonkey Posts: 128
    ViewRanger is fantastic IMHO. Full-colour OS maps with a big red "You Are Here" crosshair - you really can't go wrong! The maps are stored on your phone so you don't need any signal.

Yes you have to buy the maps but they are pretty cheap, especially if you buy the 1:50k ones (1:25k are more expensive), and you buy them in small tiles so you only need to get the areas you need.

In fact if you only want to use the GPS to track your rides then you don't need to buy maps at all. There's a small scale base map that disappears to a blank screen when you zoom in if you don't have the relevant OS mapping, but it will still record your track which you can later upload to a computer etc.

For reference, a 10km x 10km square at 1:50k costs about 7 credits, and you get 400 credits for £5.99 I think (cheaper if you buy more. If you buy the premium edition of Viewranger for £15 then I think you get 1000 credits thrown in, from memory - certainly enough to buy lots of maps!

I stick my iPhone in a waterproof case from Ultimate Addons that clamps to the bars, and as long as I only turn on the screen when I need to check the route, the battery lasts for a decent 9am-3pm ride with no problem, with the route being recorded all the time.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    ViewRanger is fantastic IMHO. Full-colour OS maps with a big red "You Are Here" crosshair - you really can't go wrong! The maps are stored on your phone so you don't need any signal.

+1
    Their support is very good as well.
    I messed up an order and got 1:25,000 maps in error. When I realised the mistake I contacted them and they sent same areas in 1:50,000, free!
    Top support.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    Motion-X is pretty good as you can download the map data at home. If you only check it when you need to your phone should last a full day no problem (well my iphone 4 did, haven't tried it on my 5 yet). If you try as I did once to lock the phone screen on so you can use it constantly it will kill your battery in about 2 hours.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Trails is good on the iphone, download what you want before hand and set off. Uses Open Street map though, so while trails are marked, the clarity on what sort of trails they are is woefully poor!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Open Street maps are diabolically bad. Same for open Hiking maps. Open Cycle maps, however, are great.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Newer version of Android/Google Maps have an 'Offline' version. You download the area you need to be covered and bingo - all cached on the phone, no connection required
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8