Anybody own Verenti Insight 105 or Basso Laguna Veloce?

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
Now then, I know bike weight isn't everything, but after riding around on a 12kg lump of scrap for long enough I want to make sure I get it right this time.

I've got about a grand to spend, and was close to buying the Verenti Insight 105 from wiggle at a discounted £999 (it's a rebranded Ridley Orion frame) which has had some good reviews. Problem is - wiggle won't give me a decent weight estimate for the XS bike (whole bike not just frame and fork). On the Q+A section of the site, members of Wiggle staff have quoted 8.2kg, 9.5kg and even 12.2kg for the Ultegra version! Is it really that difficult to weigh a bike properly? Shouldn't they know what their own brand bikes weigh? For a full carbon frame and fork with 105 I'd hope to be looking at under 9kg here? Would I be correct. Has anybody got one and do they know what it weighs?

Also, this misinformation from Wiggle has put me off slightly so I've looked at a few other bikes - namely the Basso Laguna veloce, again no weight specified and for some reason when I look at the pictures they seem to look 'heavy' but can anybody tell me if these bikes are heavy or not? Also, not many reviews of the Basso around so if anyone has any pointers I'd greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,

LL

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Why not go for something a little better known, such as a Cannondale CAAD10 105 for £1149.99? It's a proven frame and you'll be able to find reliable weight figures for it!
  • i have the basso you talk about. i wouldnt call it a feather weight. wheels are heavy and finishing kit is in house stuff including brake and chain set.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Frame about 1100g, forks about 350g. They are stiff and comfortable, but not the lightest.

The amount of material alone (to create the lovely tube shapes and beefed up BB etc) means it is never going to be a weight weenie.

Great bikes though.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • LeicesterLad
    smidsy wrote:
    Frame about 1100g, forks about 350g. They are stiff and comfortable, but not the lightest.

The amount of material alone (to create the lovely tube shapes and beefed up BB etc) means it is never going to be a weight weenie.

Great bikes though.

Basso claim 8.2kg on their website - surely thats optimistic? Though at 1100g for the frame and 350g for the forks it does seem, in that respect to be a fair bit lighter than the Verenti - must be the Veloce and in-house finishing kit that adds the weight for the Basso?

I've had a look at the Caad's and yes, ive never heard anybody say anything bad about them but I'm not sure I want another Alu frame though i probably wouldn't notice much difference especially with it being so light. Hmm, decisions.
  • smidsy
    They are not heavy, it is just that they are no Supersix Evo. Put them side by side and the evo looks anerexic.

I have an Astra in a 56 if you wish to give it a 'lift test'. I know it is bigger and not the exact model but it will give you some idea of how great they look and how well they are made in the flesh.

Still a lot lighter than the verenti even in the bigger size I bet.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    smidsy wrote:

Great bikes though.

Basso claim 8.2kg on their website - surely thats optimistic? Though at 1100g for the frame and 350g for the forks it does seem, in that respect to be a fair bit lighter than the Verenti - must be the Veloce and in-house finishing kit that adds the weight for the Basso?

I've had a look at the Caad's and yes, ive never heard anybody say anything bad about them but I'm not sure I want another Alu frame though i probably wouldn't notice much difference especially with it being so light. Hmm, decisions.

Planet X RT-58 has a quoted weight o 7.2kg for the 52cm bike. Light frame, fork and groupset. Heavy wheels so you could shave off another 500g to make it round about UCI legal weight for £1500! Has a stealth look like the Verenti.
  • smidsy
    I've had a look at the Caad's and yes, ive never heard anybody say anything bad about them

Not the same since they stopped making them by hand in America. The BB30 is the reason I would never buy one, and I am a Cannondale fan of old. I have a CAAD 5.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • LeicesterLad
    smidsy wrote:
    They are not heavy, it is just that they are no Supersix Evo. Put them side by side and the evo looks anerexic.

I have an Astra in a 56 if you wish to give it a 'lift test'. I know it is bigger and not the exact model but it will give you some idea of how great they look and how well they are made in the flesh.

Still a lot lighter than the verenti even in the bigger size I bet.

Cheers for the offer Smidsy - I'd be looking at a 51cm Basso so with it being quite a small frame it should shave a few pounds from the 56+

I have no experience of the Veloce gear so can't comment on weight in comparison to 105. I assume it would be a lighter bike than the Verenti though of course without weighing them both I'll probably never know - the Basso Laguna is at Wiggle for £1100 down from £2000 so I'd expect it to be the better bike though price isn't always the best comparison. Only reason for looking at the Wiggle offers and buying from them is because I know they have a reliable finance set-up and I'm a bit unsure about some of the other site that offer finance.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Veloce is light enough - it's similar spec to the 105 - however, the Basso isn't full veloce, it has Microtech brakes and chainset. The Microtech kit is rebadged Miche kit - OK for the chainset and calipers but the weight is going to be the Miche wheels. They're bottom of the range (either the 'Race' or 'Reflex RX5' wheelsets) but OK for commuting and winter - about 2kg the pair. £100 jobbies - but not much different to the racing 7s on the Verenti.

Personally, I'd go for the Basso. But the Verenti is a very nice bike too.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    My Astra which is a 47 sloping with SRAM Red/Force and carbon tubs weighs in at 6.7kg. With my Mavic Cosmic ten ton tessas it weighs in at 7.8kgs.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • LeicesterLad
    g00se wrote:
    Veloce is light enough - it's similar spec to the 105 - however, the Basso isn't full veloce, it has Microtech brakes and chainset. The Microtech kit is rebadged Miche kit - OK for the chainset and calipers but the weight is going to be the Miche wheels. They're bottom of the range (either the 'Race' or 'Reflex RX5' wheelsets) but OK for commuting and winter - about 2kg the pair. £100 jobbies - but not much different to the racing 7s on the Verenti.

Personally, I'd go for the Basso. But the Verenti is a very nice bike too.

Cheers for the breakdown g00se - I guess there isn't much in it, whichever I get a change of wheel would soon sort out any weight issues I suspect. I like the look of the Verenti to be honest - the matt black finish floats my boat and it's nice and minimalist. The Basso look lovely aswell and I suspect far better in the flesh. I just dunno anymore...