Morzine/Les Getz advice for 2014

frankspencer1979
frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
edited January 2014 in Holidays
I really fancy experiencing some Alps riding, and Morzine seems the obvious choice in terms of the trails and facilities available. Only thing is I'd be biking by myself and the missus said she'll come along so she can chill out round the pool! I'd perhaps do 3/4 days riding by myself, then try to get the both of us out for a day on some easier stuff (she's not really a rider.) So I got a few questions which someone will hopefully be able to help me with!

When would be the best time to go, avoiding the busiest time but with everything still open?

Is the weather guaranteed to be decent over there? Hot enough to sit round a pool all day?

Looking at the trail maps on Morzenet, it kinda looks like a big trail centre, so is it easy for a numpty like me to navigate round by myself!?

I'd be hiring a bike, maybe along the lines of a Nukeproof Mega rather than a full on DH bike, any advice or recommendations re' this?

Comments

• Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    I've always been out there around the end of July / beginning of August and whilst there can be a small wait for the lifts, the tracks themselves are never that busy.

You can't guarantee the weather in the Alps, one time I went it virtually rained for the entire week, another time it was bone dry. It really can be hit or miss with the weather.

Yes, generally pretty easy to find everything and there's always people around to ask or they might show you.

If your hitting the DH tracks then go with the bigger travel bike IMO
  • BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697
    When would be the best time to go, avoiding the busiest time but with everything still open?

July or August. The PDS area is so huge the trails are never busy, even if the villages are.
    Is the weather guaranteed to be decent over there? Hot enough to sit round a pool all day?

When it's hot, it's hot. When it's wet, expect biblical levels of rain. Streets turning into rivers type rain. We got stuck on the Les Gets chairlift for about 20 minutes in an absolutely brutal rain storm. There was a wee guy on my lift with jeans and a t-shirt and I thought he was about to pass out at one point. When the rain stops it gets warm again quickly so the trails will dry out.
    Looking at the trail maps on Morzenet, it kinda looks like a big trail centre, so is it easy for a numpty like me to navigate round by myself!?

Yes, the marked trails are very easy to navigate. They're signed and named/ numbered so it's easy to find your way around
    I'd be hiring a bike, maybe along the lines of a Nukeproof Mega rather than a full on DH bike, any advice or recommendations re' this?

http://www.toricomorzine.com/
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    Agree with above, not sure there's much in the way of lounging by the pool though. As mentioned the weather can be a real bitch when it wants to be
  • Nuts4fsr
    Nuts4fsr Posts: 1,084
    The center of Morzine has a very nice pool and hotel/amenities .

For a nice shilled day, she could spend some time at Lake Montriond too.

In the last 7 years of going to Morzine/ Port Du Soleil it has become much less of a 'Sausage fest' and much more a proper holiday Destination for families (English and french). There is so much to do there, and all the surrounding areas it could literally stop you from riding.

A must see is the Giger Museum, Chateaux Chillon, and the mountain behind Morzine where you can walk to the top and see straight across to Mont Blanc.

I've just come back from 2 weeks there with the wife, and she or I wasn't bored for 2 weeks.
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Hey

Most of your questions have already been answered, but for what it's worth:

We tend to go early July, it's quiet enough then. If you're planning on going late june or late Aug onwards I'd check that the main lifts are open... the different resorts have different operating months.

As someone else has already said, it's a mountain area so the weather changes fast. Last year seemed to be fairly typical, we went out for a week, had 1 day of torrential rain followed by a cold drizzly day (temp in Morzine low teens but this drops quickly as you rise up the chairlifts). The remainder of the week, temps rose to the high 20's and it was blisteringly hot and sunny - BBQ's at night and drinking outside cafe's in t-shirts and shorts until midnight. I've seen some holidays offering spa retreats, if you want to play it safe I'd suggest something like that. For reference, the lifts open around 9am until 5.30pm in Morzine.

As stated, it's well signposted and there's always loads of riders who'll help if you get lost. Google search the 2 links below if you want a trail map of the area and one of Les Gets/Morzine though - I took these last year
    Portes du Soleil VTT 2012 V5
    morzine_les_gets_mountain_biking_map (if these don't work, PM me your email address and I'll email the PDF's to you)

If you're only riding for 3/4 of the day, there's loads around Les Gets and Morzine to keep you busy. If you fancy something different head over to Avoriaz and Chatel. If you want to see the area (inc Switzerland), the last weekend in June is the Passportes du Soleil, an opening party thingy. Done it once, worth doing once - especially if you're hiring a Mega.
    Most people are riding DH bikes, although I did see a fair few Megas last year (and Lapierre Spicys). I ride a commencal meta55 and it's fine on the red and blue trails, I've never felt under-gunned, if you're planning on riding any black trails I'd suggest a DH bike. Only thing to consider, if you're hiring don't forget European shops will have the brake levers the other way round (i.e. back brake on the right). It wouldn't bother me as I doubt I'm off the brakes for more than 2 sec's at a time (its steep :shock: ) but if you're slightly more refined than me, you may want to ask in advance if it's possible to get the bike set up for a UK rider....