rear detailleur on trek 4400 2008 model

spjd
spjd Posts: 3
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Some bampot has stripped my bike of its
rear mech, bending the chain in the process.
Coupled with this there is what appears to be a snapped tooth on the 4th cog on the cassette. (8speed)

Can't remember the component name to source a replacement.

I'm seeking any advice to keep costs down as I can't afford the 100 quid the local lbs is likely to charge.

I'm used to servicing the bike myself and would be happy to try to repair mysef but my difficulty lies in sourcing compatible components 7,8 9 speed etc.

All advice appreciated.

S.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Tbh any mech of the same make as your shifters will do. 7 or 8 or 9 spd will work.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The cassette will have teeth of different length to aid shifting, may not be broken at all.

What shifters SRAM X range need SRAM Mechs, SRAM named/MRX work with Shimano mechs.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • spjd
    spjd Posts: 3
    Thanks. Should I replace the cassette any way if I am to renew the chain and rear mech?
    I'm grateful for your help.
    S.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depends on how worn the parts were, check the chain you have left, if wear is low, then no, if yes, well probably (I'd just put a chain on and try it!) Rear mech not relevant.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.