Ammaco bikes

gixernick
gixernick Posts: 180
edited January 2016 in Road beginners
Does anyone know anything about these can't find much on the t'internet?

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Cheap tat.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Pretty rubbish IIRC. Better off going to Halfords.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    They re an oil company in Saudi are nt they?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Hi, they're not the best in the world, but if you want to see more they're usually sold by a company called Cycle King, have a look at they're website
  • Hi, they're not the best in the world, but if you want to see more they're usually sold by a company called Cycle King, have a look at they're website
  • c0ugars
    c0ugars Posts: 202
    my first road bike was one it was heavy and not the best bike for the price!! i would go halfords for a cheap bike or get one second hand

cycle king is where i got mine from
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    For this budget second hand, Halfords or Decathlon would be a better choice. If you were to ask me about Viking bikes, you'd get the same answer.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • ct1991
    ct1991 Posts: 1
    I know this is an old thread but as an owner of an ammaco bike I thought i'd give my opinion.

Ammaco is a cheap branded bike, I brought mine about two years ago whilst finishing my college course. I didn't have a lot of money at the time and this was great for then.

I stopped biking for a while and recently have begun to get back into it. This bike I have discovered however good it may look is not really up to long distance bike rides it will manage it but compared to other 'much better' bikes this wouldn't stand up to it. Its seems unreasonably heavy, and I have major problems with gears, In wet weather the brakes just about work.

If you're serious or becoming serious about cycling your better of doing what i'm doing now and saving for a 'better' road bike.
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    My wife brought one, against my advice. Its terrible and our car is lighter. As said above i'd try Halfords/Decathalon/used .
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    IIRC Ammaco bikes were imported by Nick Thake in Gloucester and catered for the lower end of the market.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    redvee wrote:
    IIRC Ammaco bikes were imported by Nick Thake in Gloucester and catered for the lower end of the market.

My first proper bike came from the first Cycle King shop Nick Thake opened (Sawbridgeworth). I suspect it may have been an Ammaco but I don't recall and I've failed to find any images to match it.

I also more recently have seen a bike shop in Shrewsbury (just up from the Station) that has proudly displayed Ammaco MTB and road tandems outside. That's got to be a grim experience!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tesseractorion
    tesseractorion Posts: 4
    edited January 2016
    Hi,

Newbie here :oops:

My Local Bike Store is Cycle King and they're pretty good AFAIK; they have a Ammaco Team 29er in the window and the nice lady mechanic inside informed me that they sold 3 of them this week and that was the last one.

Unfortunately I know very little about bikes tbh & my old one has just expired.

Here is the (updated: 2016 LOL :mrgreen: ) link: http://www.cycleking.co.uk/AMMACO-2-SERIES-TEAM-29er-29inch-WHEEL-WITH-LOCKOUT-FORK-AND-HYDRO-DISCS-BLACK-3-13-product-344.html

Looks ok to me, especially at the discounted price, and I'd like to support my LBS if at all possible but if it's a genuine lemon please say so!

Cheers :D
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Hi, they're not the best in the world, but if you want to see more they're usually sold by a company called Cycle King, have a look at they're website
    dear god, this forum is going downhill .....
  • Oops sorry about my first post, it's obviously in the wrong forum (Google sent me straight here because of my searching for Ammaco) - should be in Mountain Biking :oops:

Humble apologies...
  • rolf_f
    giant man wrote:
    Hi, they're not the best in the world, but if you want to see more they're usually sold by a company called Cycle King, have a look at they're website
    dear god, this forum is going downhill .....

Well, it might have been going downhill two years ago but things may have improved since then! :wink:
  • Slomotion
    Slomotion Posts: 10
    Hi, every one I am new to the group, but I thought I'd give my experiences of Ammaco bikes.
    Two years ago I was told to get more exercise by the hospital after an operation, the options were
    free gym membership, swimming, or get myself a bike. I can't stand gym's, swimming is boring (unless going diving), so I looked for a bike. My first port of call was my local bike shop, and Scott who owns it was very helpful, but I couldn't afford any of his machines, however he did give me one piece of advice that has proved invaluable, and that was don't buy a mountain bike get a hybrid, as he told me he gets more barely used ones brought to him to sell, because people find them too heavy.
    So I went to a nearby discounter were I bought an Ammaco CS300. This bike has a aluminium frame, Suntour adjustable front suspension, Shimano gears and brakes at the lower end of their range, and alloy wheels by Wiemann.
    The bike is quite light and rolls very easily and I was pleased to ride it for the first few days when a couple of thing started to niggle, the gear change started missing and their was a creaking sound when I put pressure on the pedals and I started to think I ad made a big mistake. So being cheeky I took it to Scott and arranged for him to check it over, after he adjusted everything and set it up properly it's worked superbly I have done about 500 miles on it using Route 6 and The Big Track as well as normal roads and had no problems at all.
    So to conclude I am happy with my bike and wonder whether the people who dismiss them as being rubbish are just too attached to their brands. The Ammaco 300cs does what I want it too at a price I could afford and even though it hasn't got the best equipment certainly works well when set up properly.
    It has certainly got me cycling again after a 40 year break :D
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Slomotion wrote:
    ...The bike is quite light ...

Yes, compared to a small planet, but to most others, boat-anchor would probably be a more apt description :?
    Also appropriately-termed 'shed-ware' as that's where they are most frequently found.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Slomotion
    Hi Monty Dog, you might be right about the terminology used by the more elitist members of the cycling fraternity with whom I am sure you consider yourself a leading member.
    I am sure there are a lot more well known branded mountain bikes in sheds because they are bought for name rather than use. as far as weight goes it is much the same as my mates Giant.
    So thanks for the comments but I'd much rather be cycling than reading magazines about it. :lol:
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    What a freaking MONSTROSITY!

650 quid. For this?!

thumb3_1f2540_xrs800.jpg
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rolf_f
    Slomotion wrote:
    It has certainly got me cycling again after a 40 year break :D

Cant argue with that. But as to the Ammaco - if you bought a new car and it managed 3000 miles without breakdown would you consider that that meant it was a good car? Or would you think 3000 miles isn't actually that far and that really 10 times that is more a minimumto make that sort of judgement? 500 miles on a bike is barely more than run in. If it can manage 5000 miles without needing more than tyres and maybe a cable or two, then I'd think you'd got a useful, functional bike. Not a good one mind - however good or bad some Ammaco bikes might be, buying a cheap bike with suspension is never a good idea - the benefits are far outweighed by the negatives..
    NapoleonD wrote:
    What a freaking MONSTROSITY!

650 quid. For this?!

thumb3_1f2540_xrs800.jpg

No, be fair - they are only currently asking £550 for it :lol: - mind you, that is down from £699.99.........

Incidentally, note the attention to detail of the bar tape wrapping........
    http://www.cycleking.co.uk/AMMACO-XRS800-FULL-SORA-18-SPEED-9-20-product-404.html

Seriously - you can get a nice bike for this sort of money. You can still get last years Giant Defy Sora for £550 here and there and that is a terrific bike. You'd have to be insane to buy this Ammaco instead.
  • Slomotion
    Please explain why the bike in your picture is a monstrosity, just calling it one with out justifying the reasons helps know one.
  • napoleond
    Oh. My. Word.

Seriously? :shock:
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Oh. My. Word.

Yes seriously. Take off your snob lenses and try looking past the name on the downtube.
  • Slomotion
    Hi Rolf thanks for the sensible comments,
    My problem is I live on a pension so I have to cut my coat according to my cloth, I have looked at a few second hand machines most of which were in lousy condition and the people selling them seemed to think they were still worth 75% of the retail price, so I think at just over £200 it's good value.
    I doubt whether I would ever be able to ride 5k in a year my legs wouldn't let me.
    As for the front suspension I find it useful and I can turn it off on the roads.
    What I really can't stand is people slagging thing off without having tried them or basing the opinions on hearsay.
    It's like the augments in the photographic circles over Canon and Nikon.
    Hope your ride for Water Aid succeeds.
  • Slomotion
    Napoleon, Are you a child or can't you justify your position!
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Imposter wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Oh. My. Word.

Yes seriously. Take off your snob lenses and try looking past the name on the downtube.

For starters if Ammaco think that the shifters are correctly positioned in the photo then it gives great concern about the rest of the bike.

I have just sold a secondhand Giant carbon bike for £600 with full Campag Veloce 10 speed groupset and Campag Vento wheels so given the choice ........ let me think hard about it ...... I'd take the Giant every single day of the week.
  • napoleond
    Imposter wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Oh. My. Word.

Ok, compare it to this. Which is 300 quid cheaper. For starters the shifters aren't positioned dangerously...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-red ... 74036.html
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    nochekmate wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Oh. My. Word.

For starters if Ammaco think that the shifters are correctly positioned in the photo then it gives great concern about the rest of the bike.

Lever and stem position can be sorted in about 5 minutes. Can't believe that is even an issue for you.
  • Slomotion
    Hi Imposter, How right you are.
  • napoleond
    The issue is that the bike company are happy to advertise it like that which casts serious concerns about the rest of the bike. The sort of person that would be looking at this bike is likely to be a beginner with little experience, who would not know just how crap that position is, would ride it, hate it and not bother again.

Let's see what else is out there for same or less?

So, we have the Ammaco at the sale price of 550

thumb3_1f2540_xrs800.jpg

Already mentioned the BTwin which was 250 quid less...

Specialized Allez - 550

specialized-allez-compact-2013-road-bike.jpg

Award winning Giant Defy 5 - 499

2013_GIANT_DEFY_5_BICYCLING.jpg?width=840&height=570

Trek 1.1 - 495

trek-11-c-h2-2013-road-bike.jpg

Loads at wiggle around 500 quid such as this Moser

0104.jpg?w=350&h=350&a=7

That's before going 2nd hand. Why would you buy that more expensive Ammoco over one of those?
    ABCC Cycling Coach