SRAM X9 rear shifter problem

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a 2012 SRAM X9, 10 speed, rear trigger shifter with a problem. When shifting up the cassette the shift lever doesn't return. It shifts ok and I can push it back and it will engage ok next time I use it. Any idea how I can sort this?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends what 'up' is. Up into a smaller cog or down to a bigger one? Solution is likely to be different..
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Is the cable running smoothly? I had a very similar problem and it turned out the inner cable was fraying
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rockmonkeysc
    Up as in up the cassette. From the smaller cogs to a bigger one. So down through the ratios.
    im pretty sure its not the cable as that wont stop the lever returning.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Smaller to bigger is DOWN, not sure how you can calli it up and down!

My son had similar, we just loosened and retightened the screw holding the lever on and sorted!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So down. Whatever you want to call it. Either gunk in the shifter, or seriously fubared cables
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Up as in up the cassette. From the smaller cogs to a bigger one. So down through the ratios.
    im pretty sure its not the cable as that wont stop the lever returning.

It did with me as the cable end was interfering with it as it didn't pull back towards the cassette (if that makes sense)
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • mac-cos
    mac-cos Posts: 80
    Had a similar problem recently with an SRAM rear shifter. Cable had jammed inside the shifter luckliy under warrenty so the local LBS sorted FOC. Words of advice were dont strain it as it could break the shifter ...
  • rockmonkeysc
    All fixed. The plastic pulley plate had disengaged from the ratchet plate. Everything re engaged and a bit of lubricant and all is well again.