Lightweight stiff trainers for flats - not 5.10's :- D

capoz77
capoz77 Posts: 503
edited June 2014 in MTB general
I've tried various 5,10's over the years and whilst sticky as honey, all have been too heavy and i've reverted to my super lightweight Nike running shoes :lol: Ride with V12 pedals.

I've been getting cramp in my feet on longs rides recently as the Nike's are bending around my peddle too much, so been looking at some Vans, Airwalks etc today, but again all too heavy for my liking.

Any lightweight, stiff soled trainers you guys can reccomend, that I can actually go and try on somewhere too, decathlon, sportsdirect etc as opposed to mail order? :)

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    No fear skate shoes from sports direct, £16.

Do a forum search for the discussion.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • capoz77

cheers looking now!
  • Shimano Am41's. Got myself some and they are brilliant.

Used to have skate shoes, but the Shimano's are so much stiffer.

I have tried 5:10's but found them too big and heavy.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I am currently riding in my New Balance 573 cross trainers. They are thicker and stiffer soled than running shoes and are reasonably well vented. Obviously not as grippy as my flat shoes but my feet dont feel like they are going to burst into flames with the current heat.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • capoz77
    Shimano Am41's. Got myself some and they are brilliant.

Used to have skate shoes, but the Shimano's are so much stiffer.

I have tried 5:10's but found them too big and heavy.

now they look interesting!
  • capoz77
    halford with extra discount, only £50, good price...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_271415

what size would I get, i'm 11's in normal trainers?

Will check out any other suggestions too so keep em coming :)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    AM41s are nice shoes but as with all Shimanos the sizing is a bit odd. Definitely a try before you buy the usual reccomendation is go up 1 size from your normal trainer size but if your like me and got broad feet you might struggle.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • I'm a size 10 in trainers, but got a 9.5 in AM41's... so do't really agree with going 1 size up!!

Deffo try before you buy!
  • capoz77
    Well just checked and im actually 11.5 in Nike trainers, 47, and can only get 46 AM 41's from halford for £50, may give them a bash if size down can be ok :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I use AM41's. Lighter and less absorbant than 5.10's with 95% of the grip.
    I also disagree with the comment about sizing. I wear size 11 shoes and trainers and size 11 AM41's.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412

That's what I'm using currently. Stiffer sole than Airwalks, and plenty grippy on my Wellgo B54s.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Ditch the V-12s, they're grippy, but small. And get some Vans skate shoes. Or, really, any proper skating shoe.
  • capoz77
    I found the sportdirect thread but the links were all dead, which of these were the no fear trainers?

http://www.sportsdirect.com/SearchResul ... 20trainers
  • capoz77
    Ditch the V-12s, they're grippy, but small. And get some Vans skate shoes. Or, really, any proper skating shoe.

I've got some Vans simply too heavy, compared to my nike running trainers. :(
  • 97th choice
    capoz77 wrote:
    I found the sportdirect thread but the links were all dead, which of these were the no fear trainers?

http://www.sportsdirect.com/no-fear-cor ... oes-242020

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • YeehaaMcgee
    capoz77 wrote:

I've got some Vans simply too heavy, compared to my nike running trainers. :(
    But they'll grip like limpets, and be far tougher than running shoes.
  • Kowalski675
    capoz77 wrote:

Aye, them's the ones I have (in black/red).
  • capoz77
    Can anyone chuck their no fears on a set of scales and tell me what they weigh? Lol
  • Kowalski675
    capoz77 wrote:
    Can anyone chuck their no fears on a set of scales and tell me what they weigh? Lol

860g for my size 8.5s.
  • capoz77
    capoz77 wrote:

860g for my size 8.5s.

Thats per shoe? Thanks anyhow!

What do the am41s weigh?

only place I can get am41s where I can try them on is halfords but its special order. So if weights arnt far out might just get the no fears.
  • Kowalski675
    capoz77 wrote:
    capoz77 wrote:

860g for my size 8.5s.

Thats per shoe? Thanks anyhow!

No, that's for the pair, with laces and a coating of Gisburn dust, lol.
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    I infact use a pair of Nike's from Sports Direct for £30, great things, better than some of the decent cycling shoes I've used, love them :)
  • I've just bought a pair of these Puma trainer boots for winter riding - a bargain at £12 from my local TK Max. :D

$T2eC16hHJHEFFmSOZsUYBRl-!1juE!~~60_35.JPG

They have a nice flat grippy sole but they are fleece lined so there's no way you'd want to wear them in summer. Once around the block to test them was more than enough in 28 degree heat.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    I used to have Shimano am41s, which were excellent, but now I have Sombrio x-shazams, which I would say are a bit less comfy and less grippy, but also nonetheless.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • capoz77
    Still found no where that stocks the AM41's for trying out my size, and I don't want to pay courier costs to send a load back which don't fit, so top contender at the mo is the sports direct no fears..

• Kowalski675
    capoz77 wrote:
    Still found no where that stocks the AM41's for trying out my size, and I don't want to pay courier costs to send a load back which don't fit

If you buy from Chain Reaction you can send them back for free.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    There's not so many around, but Sombrio are a really good option, loving my X-Shazams and X-Floats. Better in most ways than my Five 10s, lighter though not ultralight but then is that really such a big deal?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Apologies for the thread hijack but how does the sole wear on the no fears? I bought some Donnay Adidas Superstar rip offs in the spring and the sole is borked already, it looks like a shark has had a go at my feet.

Do all trainers go like this? Or are the bike specific ones better/mine particularly bad?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I bought some cheap Airwalks, and the sole was torn to shreds on two rides. My Vans do thousands of miles.
  • 97th choice
    Ok for me so far, about half a dozen rides on them.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500