Rotor Cuff Injury

Bozabyka
Bozabyka Posts: 252
I have damaged my rotor cuff.
Visited A and E and have been prescribed Tramadol and Diclofenic.
I have been booked in for a scan but this will be in six weeks the NHS says.
I have been told not to ride for six weeks!
Is this right?

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    The rotator cuff - suppose it depends what the damage is - personally I doubt you'll be doing it too much harm if it's not too painful to ride with. Seeing as you've been given painkillers though maybe it is? Probably best not to fall off on it though so MTBing etc may be a bad idea.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Bozabyka wrote:
    I have damaged my rotor cuff.
    Visited A and E and have been prescribed Tramadol and Diclofenic.
    I have been booked in for a scan but this will be in six weeks the NHS says.
    I have been told not to ride for six weeks!
    Is this right?

Hurt my shoulder skiing just last January. The health system here in the States generally requires that you go to therapy for 3 or 4 weeks before you get an MRI. This is due to the high cost of MRI's. You just don't get them very often until other avenues of treatment don't seem to be helping. I'm thinking this may be your case also.
    And, no Doctor or Therapist is going to recommend that you ride until more is known about how you're feeling and how your range of motion is coming along.
    The shoulder is a complicated thing and can take a long time to get back to normal. Mine still aches from time to time and I do shoulder stretching stuff almost on a daily basis to avoid having it freeze up.