Been about 10 years since I rode - couple of things

poah
poah Posts: 3,369
edited July 2013 in MTB general
Its become even more complicated than it used to Be

There are 650b and 29 bikes, it used to be xc and downhill now there is AM, free ride and enduro. forks can be 1.5, tapered and 1 1/8 rather than 1 & 1 1/8. Head sets are even more confusing. Seat posts now move up and down and rear wheels have wider spacing not just 135.

Im building a ghost asx plus to replace my old orange X2 so it's been an education getting my head round a few things :lol:

Hopefully all the stuff I've bought while I'm on holiday will fit and I can get back out on my bike :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Good luck with the build, there is nothing more satisfying than the first ride on a bike you've built yourself.....post build and pics in the YMB forum!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    I know what you mean, it's about 10 years since I was riding rugularly.

When I got back into it a friend gave me a heads up on the wheel size thing, I remember 24" being popular, in the old days the steerer tubes were all pretty much the same size and it was only the high saddle riding lycra clad XC boys that worried about saving weight.
    We all knew that geometry was different from bike to bike but it certainly wasn't discussed and considered to the lengths it is now. Some things don't change though, it's still bloody expensive.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • The Rookie
    26" will be around for a while, how much so, no-one yet knows but no-one will be scrapping all those 26ers soon so tyres and tubes are not likley to be an issue, many 26er HT frames will take a 650B wheel as the radius is only 1/2" bigger (more care needed with FS!), some fork manufacturere are raising the arch so that they will take 26 and 650B and older forks may take a 650B (unless you go batty on tyre size) anyway, though in all cases mud clearance will be reduced.

Looking at the ASX tech specs it is all pretty conventional (68mm English BB shell and plain 1 1/18th steerer), the only bit I can't be sure on is which headset standard it is, but given the rest I doubt very much it is anything but external (traditional) or semi integrated (also called zero stack although it isn't!), easily found on parktools.com headset identification page.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    headset is a tappered semi integrated although I'm putting a reducer on it as my fork is 1 1/8. the newer models have press fit bottom brackets
  • The Rookie
    If it's ZS44 (semi-integrated) it needs no reducer....