Garmin Edge 200 or iPhone 5 more accurate?

nternal1
nternal1 Posts: 58
Purely in terms of speed and distance which would be more accurate, the Garmin Edge 200 or iPhone 5?

Comments

• Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    Mrs.B ran a 10k race a few weeks back with a Garmin Forerunner 210 and an iPhone running Strava. Forerunner showed exactly 10k, iPhone/Strava 10.9k.
  • nternal1
    Interesting. I thought the extra processing power of an iPhone might help. I guess not.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Garmin wins on pretty much every count: size, weight, accuracy, usability, battery life, robustness and so on. Keep your iPhone safe for making calls, use a bike computer for recording your rides.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • nternal1
    Good to know because I'm loving the no brainer simplicity of my Edge 200. It's really ideal for my purposes at this point.
  • matudavey
    matudavey Posts: 108
    I think iPhone 4s and 5 have GLONASS satellite support which can give better accuracy and faster location fixing. The new Edge 510 has GLONASS but the 500 doesn't. This may only make a difference in built up/forested areas though
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Aren't the proper bike GPS units capable of recording data at a faster rate? Every second, as opposed to every 5 seconds for a phone.
  • matudavey
    If you use Google MyTracks you can customise the sampling rate down to 1s.
    Strava Run app uses 1 or 2 second i think, whereas Strava Cycle is only every 3\4 seconds.

My Bryton unit only sampled at 4-5 second intervals (resulting in me taking a CR by a massive margin on a strava run!) but Garmin are every 1s.
  • nternal1
    matudavey wrote:
    I think iPhone 4s and 5 have GLONASS satellite support which can give better accuracy and faster location fixing. The new Edge 510 has GLONASS but the 500 doesn't. This may only make a difference in built up/forested areas though
    What does the 500 or 510 have to do with it? I asked about the 200.
  • matudavey
    Sorry, the Edge 200 also does not have GLONASS capability that iPhone does, so might not be as accurate in places where it's hard to get a location fix.