10TT warm up

ednino
ednino Posts: 684
edited July 2013 in Amateur race
Whats the best way to warm up for a 10 tt?

Im worried that I'll use too much energy and have nothing left for the race

Comments

• Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    Get yourself moving and get your heart rate up too 80% during the hour before and you will be good to go
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The shorter the race/TT the harder the warm up.

I build up to TT pace over 10 mins, have 1 min rec, then 5 mins of 30secs hard, 30secs rec, 5 mins rec then repeat 5 of 30 hard 30 off. Cool down for a couple of mins then get off, wander about, have a chat, a drink, a poo or whatever for a few mins, get back on and ride to the start line. YMMV
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • ednino
    Thanks lads. I'll try it and see if it makes a difference to my time :o
  • mentalalex
    mentalalex Posts: 266
    pn12st01-warmup.jpg

that will do fine
    I do science, sometimes.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Will try that Sky one on Sunday. Problem is I'm off at 6:14am and its 40 minutes from where I live. Whether I can get up in time for any kind of structured warm up is debatable. Alternative is to ride there, but will I then be knackered? (its a 45 min ride at pace - around 12 rolling miles)
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Interestingly , i took part in a lab study at the local uni along with several other people ,ranging from joe public to elite level athletes. The post grad students along with their lecture and prof were ascertaining the amount and intensity of a warm up prior to physical exertion. Surprisingly ,the results that were written up and published in a science journal suggest that there is no benefit from a pre event warm up.
    Since these tests were completed i've on occasions not bothered and to be quite honest , there is no discernible difference in the final results. Make of that what you will.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Park as close as possible to start. Ride to start.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    sub55 wrote:
    Interestingly , i took part in a lab study at the local uni along with several other people ,ranging from joe public to elite level athletes. The post grad students along with their lecture and prof were ascertaining the amount and intensity of a warm up prior to physical exertion. Surprisingly ,the results that were written up and published in a science journal suggest that there is no benefit from a pre event warm up.
    Since these tests were completed i've on occasions not bothered and to be quite honest , there is no discernible difference in the final results. Make of that what you will.

It will help avoid injuries though.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    lawrences wrote:
    It will help avoid injuries though.

Hmm..........not convinced.......
  • It depends how cold it is. A warm evening, being a bit rushed (elevated heart rate and blood pressure) and a formal warm-up might not make much difference. I set a PB for a '10' last week in just such circumstances. But on a chilly morning for example then a formal warm-up will almost certainly prepare heart and mind, muscle and sinew for the immediate and sustained effort to come. Something that gets you sweating lightly will be ideal.
  • napoleond
    I took part in a lab study and with my warm up my simulated 4k pursuit was 35w higher compared to control and their warm up.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Imagine doing your warm up with these though Nap :-)

9149999123_caf2e7cc9a_c_d.jpg

How cool would that be 8)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ednino
    mentalalex wrote:
    pn12st01-warmup.jpg

that will do fine

I like this because it says 'easy' twice! Sounds like the one for me :lol:
  • Neil Buckley
    Neil Buckley Posts: 334
    mentalalex wrote:
    pn12st01-warmup.jpg

that will do fine

I've used this since it came out, works a treat. As for no warm up, that's just silly, going hard on cold muscles is just risking a torn muscle etc, no lactate buffering etc, just look at the Olympic track cyclists, team sky etc, I'm not having it says no is no benefit at all from warming up because their obviously is.

Not warming up is effectively hampering yourself before you have started.
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025

I've used this since it came out, works a treat. As for no warm up, that's just silly, going hard on cold muscles is just risking a torn muscle etc, no lactate buffering etc, just look at the Olympic track cyclists, team sky etc, I'm not having it says no is no benefit at all from warming up because their obviously is.

Not warming up is effectively hampering yourself before you have started.

I'm assuming you have a full protocol and analytical figures to support that claim.
    All the figures must obviously exclude any placibo effect .
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Neil Buckley
    Neil Buckley Posts: 334
    Yup I have, done the no warm up, warm up routine lots and in my other bits and bobs too and experiences of others too, but each to their own, I'm not going to say that's not going to work for you or not, because I don't want to get shot down by people under false names.
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Warming up normally is more of a mental thing, to get you in the mindset of going hardish from the start. As for torn muscles and the like, highly unlikely in cycling, unless you are doing something like a kilo. If you go off that hard in a 10 mile TT, I would suggest having a warm up and going off slightly easier ;)

I know plenty of very fast riders that don't have a warm up, and I know plenty that do (myself included). I warm up because I personally perform better, that may not be the case for all, and to be honest I would find a protocol that works best for yourself by experimentation.

Back to the OP, you are very unlikely to use too much energy during a warm up, a 10 mile TT uses virtually nothing of the stored energy within the body if you eat a normal nutritious diet and don't starve yourself. Always drink fluids during the warm up though, water should be perfectly fine.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    That Sky warm up isn't far off the one my coach prescribed for me.

Personally I find I go better with a good warm up, before I start my body is already in the hurt locker and primed for the effort, which means (especially for a 10) that I can start full gas, rather than having to ease myself into the effort
  • napoleond
    smidsy wrote:
    Imagine doing your warm up with these though Nap :-)

9149999123_caf2e7cc9a_c_d.jpg

How cool would that be 8)

Nice....
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    LegendLust wrote:

Personally I find I go better with a good warm up, before I start my body is already in the hurt locker and primed for the effort, which means (especially for a 10) that I can start full gas, rather than having to ease myself into the effort

If your definition of full gas is the same as mine then starting a ten at full gas will not yield the quickest time over the course.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    celbianchi wrote:
    LegendLust wrote:

If your definition of full gas is the same as mine then starting a ten at full gas will not yield the quickest time over the course.

Well it works for me. To get any decent time on a Ten you need to be 'hitting the ground running' so to speak - full on all the way round.

BTW I don't mean sprinting eye balls out for 100 metres!
  • With the sky one how where it states build upto zone 5 how long should you hold at that intensity? Do you gradually build up through the zones for, say , 2 mins each?