Heart rate - go slow

farrina
farrina Posts: 360
With a lot of the talk often being about how high can my heart rate go I thought it might be interesting to see how low its drops during rest. Of course there is no better rest than sleep so for an experiment I thought it might be interesting to see what happens overnight.

I am conscious that you are a competitive lot out there but for once I am quite happy for someone else to claim the King/Queen of the Mountains (pulse) on this one and claim they have won with a rate of zero (once they have returned from A&E).

That said I was quite surprised to see that my heart rate dropped as low as circa 35 during the night. I presume the spikes were where I was reliving yesterdays TdF stage (the descent into Gap!)

http://sdrv.ms/1dDZFqH

A more scientific study as to what to expect here http://www.livestrong.com/article/105256-normal-heart-rate-sleeping/
Regards
Alan

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    I've had a pulse of around 39 during the day. How do you measure it during the night?
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    phreak wrote:
    I've had a pulse of around 39 during the day. How do you measure it during the night?

Forerunner 310 XT with heart band, having set the device to record before I headed off to the land of nod.

The Livestrong article suggests that it is entirely normal for the heart to go into semi power down mode at night, irrespective of fitness levels, although I can't but help think that a very unfit person's may not. The other revelation is that if you have previously suffered a heart attack the heart loses this semi power down option.

Pulse rate of 39 is impressive during the day, although you will have to go down to the high twenties to emulate "Big Mig". Mine is normally high forties.

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • farrina wrote:
    With a lot of the talk often being about how high can my heart rate go

Where?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    farrina wrote:
    Mine is normally high forties.
    Evening/morning resting rate, similar here.

I had my pulse taken this week when I went into A&E with a cracked radial head - I could tell that the nurse was confused by the slow pulse, so I had to explain that keen cyclists' pulses often went into the 40s, so not to worry.