Shimano FC-R565 Chainset/BB

dwanes
dwanes Posts: 954
edited March 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi, I'm looking to buy a 2013 Giant Defy 1 bike which uses a Shimano FC-R565 Chainset/BB. Bottom brackets confuse the hell out of me!
Does anyone know if it will be possible to upgrade this to an Ultegra chainset for future?

Comments

• tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    Yes, that is certainly possible.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Seems to be a Tiagra equivalent for the Asia markets, using a 68mm Hollowtech BB, so pretty safe bet that it will fit an Ultegra BB.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    Me-109 wrote:
    Seems to be a Tiagra equivalent for the Asia markets, using a 68mm Hollowtech BB, so pretty safe bet that it will fit an Ultegra BB.
    Not just for the Asian markets. Various bike manufacturers use it for OEM builds.

It is a non-series chain set used for OEM builds. Standard is between Tiagra and 105 level.
    All chainrings are aluminium whereas Tiagra chain-set uses steel inner ring. So lighter than Tiagra.
    Uses c-section crank-arm whereas 105 chain-set uses hollow crank-arm, so a bit heavier than 105.

You will be fine.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Many thanks for the replies, can't have too much information when choosing a new bike.
  • Chrace
    Chrace Posts: 20
    tonye_n wrote:
    Me-109 wrote:
    Not just for the Asian markets. Various bike manufacturers use it for OEM builds.

It is a non-series chain set used for OEM builds. Standard is between Tiagra and 105 level.
    All chainrings are aluminium whereas Tiagra chain-set uses steel inner ring. So lighter than Tiagra.
    Uses c-section crank-arm whereas 105 chain-set uses hollow crank-arm, so a bit heavier than 105.

You will be fine.
    Old post, sure, but I just came across it as I bought a 2nd hand "105" groupset and it turns out to be this chainset instead of a 5750. Just wanted to say much appreciated info, thanks!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I'm looking to swap my R565 chainset for an Ultegra 6700 crank. Is this just a straight swap? What sort of tools would I need?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I'm looking to swap my R565 chainset for an Ultegra 6700 crank. Is this just a straight swap? What sort of tools would I need?

Straight swap - have just done the same thing (well not quite) replacing an R565 with a 105 series chainset.

Usual tools needed - allen keys for non-drive side crank arm and special plastic or metal key to remove the bearing tensioning screw. Possibly also a rubber or wooden mallet to remove and/ or refit the driveside crank and spindle as I found it was not an easy push fit through the Hollowtech BB bearings.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    quick question, these are 110bcd, would the bcd spacing mean I could use 3rd party chainrings such as TA/Stronglight.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    yes but note that sometimes its cheaper to buy a whole new crankset in the sales than to buy new 'rings.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • philbar72
    yes but note that sometimes its cheaper to buy a whole new crankset in the sales than to buy new 'rings.

too right and agreed, however this is another experimental thing I'm doing. 54/38 on the cheap (for Paris Roubaix). I've got the chainrings already just needed to check that info.
  • Sportiveman
    Sportiveman Posts: 158
    :o Holy threadrevival :shock:
  • philbar72
    haha, used the search function...