Wiggle sale bikes

shamrock134
shamrock134 Posts: 714
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
Which would you choose and why? I'm personally leaning to the Cinelli in Blue.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/basso-laguna-veloce-2013/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cinelli-saetta- ... loce-2012/

Comments

• rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    The Basso, why ? because Basso make and finish a bike frame beautifully.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    All I know on this one, is that my Basso (not a laguna) is a very nice thing indeed. Highly recommended.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • shamrock134
    It does seem to come down the frame doesn't it. The specs on both bikes seems comparable. A bit of Veloce with some generic wheels, brakes, cranks and finishing kit.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    i just got a basso laguna 105 and its beautiful! first ride this weekend was meant to just be a test ride to see if i was going to keep it, turned into a 100 mile delight! so I guess she stays!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • shamrock134
    Is that all with the stock kit and stock wheels? How does it ride?

I wouldn't be upgrading any of the equipment any time soon as I'd be too poor. :lol:
  • i went for the basso with veloce

are you on ocuk by any chance?
  • smidsy
    Nice little video here of Basso making their frames.

http://www.bassobikes.com/it/basso-ital ... assion.php
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • shamrock134
    Does that process apply to the Laguna frame too? I take it the Cinelli is a Chinese mass produced frame?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Basso's are excellent bikes manufactured in house unlike some other manufacturers. Basso have very few outlets due to their refusal to go mass production, but because of that they ensure the finished product is perfect. I took a punt on an Astra 3 years ago and it still rides like new.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • smidsy
    Does that process apply to the Laguna frame too? I take it the Cinelli is a Chinese mass produced frame?

Yes it does. All Basso frames are made in their factory in Vicenza. Just a few doors down from Campagnolo.

8188487984_9e7ca5c1b4_n_d.jpg
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • shamrock134
    I think I'm sold on the Basso.

The frame actually might be better quality and a better fit than my Rose Xeon CRS!
  • smidsy
    This may help you decide

7142634939_47bf689d52_d.jpg

Now that is an Italian Bike 8)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • shamrock134
    Posting ricwilliams Laguna for the thread...

http://sdrv.ms/14ZiXFi

WP_20130714_001.jpg?psid=1
  • StillGoing
    Are we having a picture whore for Basso then? Smidsy gets your's posted too.
  • Frank pole
    Frank pole Posts: 112
    I'm not familiar with the micro tech kit but that basso looks stunning fella!
  • shamrock134
    MicroTech are Basso's in-house components apparently.

As tempting as the Basso is I just don't think I can justify another bike even though I really want it!
  • smidsy
    Microtech is allegedly re-branded Miche kit. If so this is a good thing.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy
    philthy3 wrote:
    Are we having a picture whore for Basso then? Smidsy gets your's posted too.

Poor light but here it is
    9320862564_0b57c0ae8a_d.jpg
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ya know whats really funny? ive never seen a basso before and yet first ride out on it i saw a basso! not the same one but even so. couldnt believe it
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    ya know whats really funny? ive never seen a basso before and yet first ride out on it i saw a basso! not the same one but even so. couldnt believe it

you know what they say about Bassos!! or was that busses!?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • shamrock134
    I've just seen this picture of the Cinelli in XS which would be my size. I have to say it looks a bit strange and has put me off...

h9tl.jpg
  • StillGoing
    My god, that's fugly! :shock:
  • looks a bit off as the seat tube is too short. can you not get away with the small?

been out on the basso again. lovely bike. developed a bit of a noise from bottom bracket area (I think) when standing under heavy load but I don't have the tools or knowledge to strip it down. ill probably start checking the stuff I can do and take it from there
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    ricwilliams, I don't want to point out the obvious but have you checked that the pedals are tight.
    I had a cracking noise from the "bottom bracket area" of my bike a few weeks ago, it was only showing
    its self under load and it was driving me mad, I was told, it's your bottom bracket. I stripped it all down
    and it looked fine, I checked the left pedal and it was not quite tight :oops: this fixed the problem.

Hope this helps.
  • Rokt wrote:
    ricwilliams, I don't want to point out the obvious but have you checked that the pedals are tight.
    I had a cracking noise from the "bottom bracket area" of my bike a few weeks ago, it was only showing
    its self under load and it was driving me mad, I was told, it's your bottom bracket. I stripped it all down
    and it looked fine, I checked the left pedal and it was not quite tight :oops: this fixed the problem.

Hope this helps.

no you're probably right. its more likely to be something I have added to the bike. with the pedals having to be attached via an allen key I doubt they were tight enough. anyway this evening I have got a nice long allen wrench and hope it will be all ok tomorrow.

thanks
  • shamrock134
    Having re-assessed my finances and due to both the ugliness of the XS Saetta and the fact my friend wants to buy the Basso. I've decided to go for this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cinelli-experie ... ce-2012-1/

I've got a soft spot for Cinelli and it's by far the cheapest bike I've found that has Veloce (mostly) and isn't too boring (Ribble 7005).
  • bah still clicking away. pretty sure its not the pedals now. i'll have to look at tightening the cranks and maybe stripping the bb. time to dust off the zinn book
  • smidsy
    My Basso was frame and forks only purchase, which I then built up myself with Ultegra (including HT2 BB).

No issues at all, so I suspect you either have a different BB or it has been poorly assembled. I would find it hard to believe the frame is the issue as Basso has stringent quality control.

Hope you identify and solve it. Not your cleats I suppose?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    My Basso was frame and forks only purchase, which I then built up myself with Ultegra (including HT2 BB).

No issues at all, so I suspect you either have a different BB or it has been poorly assembled. I would find it hard to believe the frame is the issue as Basso has stringent quality control.

Hope you identify and solve it. Not your cleats I suppose?

don't think so. no issues when i use my ribble but i'll check in case something has developed. i'll even swap the pedals over. i'm off all this week so it'll give me something to do.

i'm going to check there are no obvious loose spokes, seat clamps, headset etc. its just only happens when i get out of the saddle.

the main problem is i'm pretty inept at bike maintenance but I've been meaning to learn :D

im sure i'll get it sorted and i'm still very happy with it.

*edit* bb is listed as microtech pressfit