Low carb diet!

jasonjacques
jasonjacques Posts: 8
edited September 2013 in Health, fitness & training
Hi all, I've just bought myself a bike to loose some weight. I have been on a low carb diet for 4 months and gone from a very hefty 21.3st down to a slightly less hefty 16.12st. I still need to drop 3 more stone. Most of the dietary advice I've been able to gather from the site recommends quite high carb intake. This is great if you not on a low carb diet? I am stuck! Do I drop the diet that's working for me .(non others have) Or just get on the bike and see what happens. I'm hoping to be able to cycle to work and back at least 3 times a week within 3 months. 9.2 miles each way over some rather big ups and downs and about 1 mile of offroad! Any help would be appreciated.
thanks Jason.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Nothing wrong with an Atkins style diet & exercise.

Not that I was a large as you are but about 10 years ago too much alcohol, poor diet choice & a 50 hour a week desk job I was overweight. Was about this time that said diet was quite popular & I went with this and the gym.

Like everything in life as long as your sensible and safe in what you do with food & exercise you will be fine.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • I can't wait to pick up my bike on Thursday. First bike I've owned since I left school. 21 yrs ago. It's a Scott aspect 930?!? I've spent less on cars! And it was one of the cheaper ones. Then I can start trying to get fit and shed some pounds... Wish me luck x
  • IceDog77
    IceDog77 Posts: 43
    Good luck.

I am an avid biker also on a low carb diet for weight loss, and yes you can do low carb whilst biking on regular basis and still loose weight.

My standard 'weight loss' diet is 5 to 6 small meals a day focused mainly on protein combined with drinking lots of water. Of course we all need some carbs for energy and can get the majority of our carbs from veg, like sweet potatoes etc. For heave exercise like long rides in the saddle, I usually more traditional carbs (e.g granola bar, bananas) 2 hours before rides or workouts, and during and after if needed.

Carbs are not the enemy, they just need to taken at the right time and for the right reason.
    Trek Domane 4.3 2014
    Whyte 529 2013
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    You'll be fine with a 3 mile ride to work.

On a low carb diet, I find it takes me longer to recover if I push myself really hard eg weightlifting or intense cardio. The carbs are essential for recovery.

What you can consider is having a high carb/low fat diet on weekends if you intend to exercise.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    You don't need a special diet to cycle 9 miles to work. Just eat normally and be sure to drink enough. Carbs are not the enemy. You have to eat a balanced diet in moderation and move more, more frequently and vigorously. Carbs are your immediate fuel. If you were commuting 50+ miles a day everyday (LoL) then you might carb load, but riding 9 miles - no.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Read - the art and science of low carbohydrate performance .... [available on Amazon]

also - why we get fat and what to do about it - by Gary Taubes

Also check out Peter Attia's blog - and this video about his low carb diet and performance for endurance sport - cycling/swimming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqwvcrA7oe8

Should answer most of your questions on low carb diets and how to correctly structure it to still have fuel to cycle whatever distance you want !
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)