Do you know anyone famous?

Yossie
Yossie Posts: 2,600
edited July 2013 in The bottom bracket
And I don't mean D - list TWATTIE/BB celebs: I mean proper celebs.

To start with: I once played tennis with Les Dennis. I also once answered a wrong number call from Nico Rosberg, Keke's lesser talented son.

Anyone else?

Comments

• city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Wouldn't say I 'know' them, but recently had dinner with Mark Lawrenson and Ray Stubbs, before they did an after dinner speaking stint.

They were cr@p, by the way.

I also met Keith Chegwin and Shakin Stevens when we went on Cheggers Plays Pop, in the 80's :roll:
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    WindyG wrote:
    I know Andy Bell from Oasis/Beady Eye

for me you are winning
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    David Etxebarria.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I recall posting somewhere on here that I had no interest in other people's lifestyles or possessions and at the time, struggled to think of anything that interested me less. So thank you for reminding me. The world of fame and celebrity, - I don't give a flying f*ck.
    Why are the papers full of this sh!t. David Beckham gets a new tattoo?.....Well boogaloo, so f*cking what!
    Katie Price gets her tits out?...... So f*cking what?
    Bradley Wiggins has a shave? ...... You get the idea.
    The furore surrounding the imminent royal birth? It's not mine so I don't care.
    Death of Princess Diana? Sad for her family, but as I didn't know her, I think I will eventually get over it.

I fully expect to be in a minority of one, but I genuinely don't understand the modern preoccupation with fame and the wish for people to prostrate themselves before the altar of celebrity.
  • pinno
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I recall posting somewhere on here that I had no interest in other people's lifestyles or possessions and at the time, struggled to think of anything that interested me less. So thank you for reminding me. The world of fame and celebrity, - I don't give a flying f*ck.
    Why are the papers full of this sh!t. David Beckham gets a new tattoo?.....Well boogaloo, so f*cking what!
    Death of Princess Diana? Sad for her family, but as I didn't know her, I think I will eventually get over it.

I fully expect to be in a minority of one, but I genuinely don't understand the modern preoccupation with fame and the wish for people to prostrate themselves before the altar of celebrity.

But don't you know at least someone who is famous?! :D
  • ballysmate
    Ballysmate wrote:

But don't you know at least someone who is famous?! :D

Well, there was the one bloke.
    Apparently he was a big cheese in Irn Bru can recycling. :lol:
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I had Steve backley's cast off GB track suit after the Barcelona Olympics.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    I had an interesting evening with Ulrika Jonnson?

I know pictures or it didn't happen, pre smart phone days, but about the same time as Hunter!!!!
  • ballysmate
    tim wand wrote:

I know pictures or it didn't happen, pre smart phone days, but about the same time as Hunter!!!!

What a cad! A gentleman never tells.

Proud of you, my boy! We'll make a bounder out of you yet. :lol:
  • Yossie wrote:

To start with: I once played tennis with Les Dennis. I also once answered a wrong number call from Nico Rosberg, Keke's lesser talented son.

Anyone else?

I thought you said D listers didn't count?

Me - nada, my life is meaningless as a result.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Yossie wrote:
    I once played tennis with Les Dennis. I

I once chewed gravel with the late jimmy savile

I stroked the leg of Simon Pegg

I did something odd with the great Ken Dodd

I put my hand down the pants of luvvie Charles Dance

I shared a quart of warm ale with warm Christian Bale

I was alone in a room with Orlando Bloom

I dressed as richard whiteley to please Keira Knightley

I fished for perch cod and tench with my mate Judy Dench

Sadly i've never met Emily Blunt

:mrgreen:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • ballysmate
    Yossie wrote:
    I once played tennis with Les Dennis. I

I once chewed gravel with the late jimmy savile

I stroked the leg of Simon Pegg

I did something odd with the great Ken Dodd

I put my hand down the pants of luvvie Charles Dance

I shared a quart of warm ale with warm Christian Bale

I was alone in a room with Orlando Bloom

I dressed as richard whiteley to please Keira Knightley

I fished for perch cod and tench with my mate Judy Dench

Sadly i've never met Emily Blunt

Bravo! Cleat.
    A fellow fan of McGonagall :lol:
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    tim wand wrote:

And you didn't father a child with her??

That was a first then
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    seanoconn wrote:
    tim wand wrote:

And you didn't father a child with her??

That was a first then

Was he batting on a sticky wicket?
    Or was she already up the stick?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Yossie wrote:

Anyone else?
    Yes.
    But true celebs just want to be treated as normal and hate being the centre of attention.
    Wanna-bees crave attention and I wouldn't spend 2 seconds in their company.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    I know a couple of 'The Saturdays' and some other female celebs 8)

I keep a diary to prove it

Day 17. 7:30pm She's having dinner with that pr!ck again
    8pm Bath time!
    9:30pm She's watching telly. Can't make out which channel
    11:30pm Curtains drawn
    8:15 am Curtains open. Morning beautiful!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    I know the guitarist from The Vaccines
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I used to date Chris Froom's [now] fiancée.. although I haven't met the guy personally, I know his after hours ride inside and out..
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    I know a few people that are accomplished musicians or sportsmen, but none are huge stars in the Tiger Woods etc category.
    My wife on the other hand meets "A" list celebs all the time as she is a community nurse for a kids charity, so gets to meet loads of lovely celebs making appearances here and there. One of her favorites is Chris Evans who is a genuinely lovely, caring guy and has been to the hospice several times to say hello, without there being a specific event on.
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    When I was a student in Cambridge I worked in the Burger King and served the Chuckle Brothers. Also served Chris Evert at another site.

When I worked at BMW Chris Akabusi was a customer as was Mark Webber. At the time he was racing for Jaguar and so had a Jag S type R. But he also had a M5 which he had to keep quiet about. Came in a couple of times for service and was very polite and friendly. Signed loads of autographs and had his photo taken with nearly everyone.

At Volvo Simon Biagi was a customer who at the time was on every other daytime tv programme.
  • tim wand wrote:

o come on spill the beans. back in my salad days as a youth i was partial to her, although she was getting on a bit then, the follys of a 14 yr old.

who/what is hunter?
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Yes. I recently went camping with Charles F Dawes' granddaughter.

(close enough for me)
    Insert bike here:
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I forgot I have also met nearly every driver from the 96/97/98 British Touring Car championship, I used to work in motor racing and had a access all areas TOCA pass so I could get into any garage at any time, the best one I met was Tim Harvey a real nice guy to just generally chat with, the worst one was John Cleland who was always miserable.

I have also met Radio 1's Gary Davies from back in the day, when Andy Bell used to be in his first Ride and we were at a roadshow in Oxford where we grew up.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    tim wand wrote:

o come on spill the beans. back in my salad days as a youth i was partial to her, although she was getting on a bit then, the follys of a 14 yr old.

who/what is hunter?

Strange one really, A mate of mine used to live next door to her in Virgina Waters. At the time I was dating a nurse at Heatherwood hospital near Ascot. I went down one weekend to see her and she told me she d converted to the other side. Gutted as I was, I didn't want to head back to My Uni digs in London, so I headed to my mates who was having a BBQ and said Swedish Weather Girl was there.

Basically on hearing my pathetic story she took pity on me and convinced me that my Ex hadn't turned to the pink side because of any of my short comings, Admitted to going through a bit of a phase of it herself (I was so tempted to ring the Ex and see if she fancied a 3 way).

To be fair we were both very pissed.

P.S Hunter was a 22 stone Body Builder who was on the Gladiators and her current squeeze at the time.
  • I grew up and went to school with Jon Culshaw the impressionist.
  • AlexMac1973
    AlexMac1973 Posts: 406
    My grans cousin is Ronnie Corbett, she's even got the same eyebrows! :lol:

More recently though I met Natalie Pinkham the other week, genuinely a very nice person.
    Scott S40 Speedster
    Dialled Stay Strong MX20R

I no longer live in an ivory tower, these days it's vintage white :shock:
  • pinno
    daviesee wrote:
    Yossie wrote:

Anyone else?
    Yes.
    But true celebs just want to be treated as normal and hate being the centre of attention.
    Wanna-bees crave attention and I wouldn't spend 2 seconds in their company.

Stars have talent, Celebrities are just famous and have no talent whatsoever.
    Sadly, there ain't many stars.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    When I was a student in Cambridge I worked in the Burger King [...]. Also served Chris Evert at another site.

What with? New Balls
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • WindyG wrote:
    I forgot I have also met nearly every driver from the 96/97/98 British Touring Car championship, I used to work in motor racing and had a access all areas TOCA pass so I could get into any garage at any time, the best one I met was Tim Harvey a real nice guy to just generally chat with, the worst one was John Cleland who was always miserable.

I have also met Radio 1's Gary Davies from back in the day, when Andy Bell used to be in his first Ride and we were at a roadshow in Oxford where we grew up.

interesting, was that after the glory days of charlie lamb and the schnitzer boys, smokin jo, SS, and dear old Roberto?