Rim options

Cutlerclan
Cutlerclan Posts: 27
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
Looking at building a set of wheels have the hubs but not sure what rims so opinions would be appreciated.

I'm a tad on the lardy side so looking for something a bit sturdy used open pro's which were ok tad flexy, have 32 hole hubs

Cheers
Dc

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    H Plus Son Archetype. Strong, wide, nice looking, good quality, not too pricey. Consider grey if you don't like how the black wears.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Cutlerclan wrote:
    I'm a tad on the lady side...
    :mrgreen: inappropriate mental images :oops:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Cutlerclan wrote:

pre-op..?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    How heavy are you if you find OP 32 a bit flexy?

Archetype are stiffer, but at 32 spokes anything should be, really...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Imposter wrote:
    Cutlerclan wrote:

pre-op..?

Unfortunate Freudian slip me thinks :mrgreen:
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    OP's built with race spokes and a wide flange spacing hubs will not be flexy. Archetypes as we have discussed before are stiffer. It may be the mavic hubs you have that are the problem when used with the OP's as the flange seperation may be narrow.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Imposter wrote:
    Cutlerclan wrote:

pre-op..?
    The thread title made me raise my eyebrows. Thought this should be in Bottom Bracket.... :wink:
  • Cutlerclan
    Cutlerclan Posts: 27
    Whoops ! Bloody predictive text

Hope pro 3 on open pro's 14 stone ex bmx'er so when sprinting out of the saddle can feel the rear flexing etc spokes balance tensioned so well built ?

Archetypes do look like they fit the bill

Dc
  • Camcycle1974
    Cutlerclan wrote:
    Whoops ! Bloody predictive text

Hope pro 3 on open pro's 14 stone ex bmx'er so when sprinting out of the saddle can feel the rear flexing etc spokes balance tensioned so well built ?

Archetypes do look like they fit the bill

Dc

Archetypes do indeed fit the bill. When I got my wheels built I was going to go for Hope but ended up with hubs from a company called Via which are Hope money but better engineered (according to the bike geeks in the shop I got the wheels from). I am only 12 stone but went for 32 spoke rear and 28 front. Probably 120g extra for the set which is not worth bothering about. would rather have a robust, trouble free wheel than one that is flexy due to low spoke count.
  • cycleclinic
    Via hubs look O.K on paper, but they use pointless ceramic bearings which jacks up the price and they will be no better than the bearing hope use (INA/FAG). They look alright though but the rear flange seperation is not that great but not as bad as DT Swiss hub. An alright hub but not one I will be using as Record hubs exist for high spoke count and these are simply brilliant.
  • Camcycle1974
    Via hubs look O.K on paper, but they use pointless ceramic bearings which jacks up the price and they will be no better than the bearing hope use (INA/FAG). They look alright though but the rear flange seperation is not that great but not as bad as DT Swiss hub. An alright hub but not one I will be using as Record hubs exist for high spoke count and these are simply brilliant.

Hi Malcolm, I appreciate your technical knowledge in this area. Probably should have just gone with Miche but as the shop doesn't stock them and I needed a wheel quickly the Via was a good option when compared to 105, Whyte or Chris King which were my other choices. Record is no good to me as I run Shimano.
  • cycleclinic
    I stock record hubs with a shimano (11 speed) freehubs. I buy from a distributor that does the swap for me at no extra cost. So record hubs are an option you never new existed.
  • Camcycle1974
    I stock record hubs with a shimano (11 speed) freehubs. I buy from a distributor that does the swap for me at no extra cost. So record hubs are an option you never new existed.

Indeed! If I ever go 11 speed I will bear that in mind. I ended up getting a wheel at very short notice. I was riding a 100 mile charity event on the Sunday and someone had decided to vandalize my rear wheel on the previous Tuesday :( The shop in question managed to build me a wheel on the Saturday so I could do the event. Some hasty decision making was needed! I was hoping to take my time but in the end my hand was forced and I maybe didn't make the most sensible of choices?
  • cycleclinic
    I am sure what you have will be fine. I suppose what happened to you is the pathetic excuse as to why I have 8 bikes.
  • Camcycle1974
    I am sure what you have will be fine. I suppose what happened to you is the pathetic excuse as to why I have 8 bikes.

Very true, I am half way to your total already. Number 5 to come soon hopefully.

Initial impressions are very good. The hub is smooth and the rim nice and stiff. Pick up from the freehub is very quick so they accelerate nicely. Had to go 32 spoke as that was the only drilling they had in at such short notice. Would have preferred 24/28 but 4 spokes is neither here nor there really.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094

Not to hijack, but is that using a Fulcrum freehub or something else?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243

Not to hijack, but is that using a Fulcrum freehub or something else?

Essentially yes...
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    high end fulcrum or campag body.