PX RT58 or Pro Carbon?

Camcycle1974
Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
Given that a Pro Carbon can be had for £1k and the RT-58 is £500 dearer is it worth the extra for a better frame, upgraded group set and better finishing gear? Need to make decision fairly soon. Geometries look pretty similar, a 15cm head tube on the medium RT-58 cannot be considered "sportive" really and is only 5mm more than the equivalent Pro Carbon. I also like the stealth look of the RT-58 and the clean, internally routed cabling. Does it look like I am trying to justify the extra cost? :lol:

Comments

• Camcycle1974
    Anybody with experience of either (or both preferably) have a view?
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Given that a Pro Carbon can be had for £1k and the RT-58 is £500 dearer is it worth the extra for a better frame, upgraded group set and better finishing gear? Need to make decision fairly soon. Geometries look pretty similar, a 15cm head tube on the medium RT-58 cannot be considered "sportive" really and is only 5mm more than the equivalent Pro Carbon. I also like the stealth look of the RT-58 and the clean, internally routed cabling. Does it look like I am trying to justify the extra cost? :lol:

Yes, but so would I. The RT 58 is a much newer frame and I did read somewhere on here about speed wobbles with the Pro Carbon. If you are going to pump money into a bike then do it on the frameset & wheels. So RT 58 if it were me.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    passout wrote:

Yes, but so would I. The RT 58 is a much newer frame and I did read somewhere on here about speed wobbles with the Pro Carbon. If you are going to pump money into a bike then do it on the frameset & wheels. So RT 58 if it were me.

My Pro Carbon is much less wobbly with better wheels.
    Insert bike here:
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited July 2013
    :twisted: Have Pro Carbon with Rival group set, been great, upgraded one or two bits so weight is down to 7.3kg. Biggest part of price difference between your options will more than likely be on the group set as I do not think the frame would cost much more wholesale and is probably made in the same factory.
    Pro Carbon rides great very responsive, can feel a bit light on front end but you do not notice it after a couple of rides. Friend of mine has Pro Carbon and is 95kg, almost twice my weight and he has not mentioned anything untoward.

RT58 does look nice with curved top tube, internal cabling, lightweight and Force group set (a definite step up).

Is it worth £500 more only you can decide.
    Go down and have ride on them that might make your decision easier.

Good luck and enjoy whichever one you get.
  • Camcycle1974
    Thanks for the replies. The wheels on the RT-58 aren't the best but the frame seems to be significantly better and stiffer than the Pro Carbon. Just not many reviews of it out there, hence the questions.
  • diamonddog
    Wheels can easily be upgrade and the AL30 wheels seem to be bomb proof and fairly light 1650gm plus skewers.
  • Camcycle1974
    Cheers DD. I have some handbuilts which would go on the bike anyway, I was going to ask if they can do it without wheels as I don't really need them. If that's not an option will just move them on or keep as a spare set.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    passout wrote:

I've never had any issues with "Speed Wobble" on the Pro SL. Seems very stable to me at over 45mph with a 90kg rider. It's a great frame and the 'flex' issues are way out of proportion.

There is flex in the BB, but this is only really noticeable if you are sprinting out of corners (in a race situation). If you turn up at any Crit around the country, there are plenty of people racing the Pro Carbon without any issues. On the road it's a non issue; most people will use the Pro Carbon for general riding and Sportives so why it is brought yo any anyones guess. There are plenty of similar priced aluminium framed bike out there with worse flex issues, that don't get this type of criticism.

The bigges (non issue) with flex is from the forks - mainly due to the steerer, and is much reduced if you don't run a huge spacer stack on the front end (like they seem to do in the tests)

So while the Pro SL maybe not the stiffest frame out there, for £400 it's a fantastic frameset. Whether the RT58 is worth the extra is your choice.. In terms of frame price you can't beat it IMO
    If you were really worried about the 'so called' flex, you could just ask PX for an upgrade to the fork since the BB stiffness is overstated in many reviews. It's also very light, in fact much lighter than their higher end N2A frameset (I recently upgraded from the Pro Carbon to the N2A)
    Simon
  • diamonddog
    Totally agree with springtide9 re flexing etc.
  • Camcycle1974
    passout wrote:

I've never had any issues with "Speed Wobble" on the Pro SL. Seems very stable to me at over 45mph with a 90kg rider. It's a great frame and the 'flex' issues are way out of proportion.

There is flex in the BB, but this is only really noticeable if you are sprinting out of corners (in a race situation). If you turn up at any Crit around the country, there are plenty of people racing the Pro Carbon without any issues. On the road it's a non issue; most people will use the Pro Carbon for general riding and Sportives so why it is brought yo any anyones guess. There are plenty of similar priced aluminium framed bike out there with worse flex issues, that don't get this type of criticism.

The bigges (non issue) with flex is from the forks - mainly due to the steerer, and is much reduced if you don't run a huge spacer stack on the front end (like they seem to do in the tests)

So while the Pro SL maybe not the stiffest frame out there, for £400 it's a fantastic frameset. Whether the RT58 is worth the extra is your choice.. In terms of frame price you can't beat it IMO
    If you were really worried about the 'so called' flex, you could just ask PX for an upgrade to the fork since the BB stiffness is overstated in many reviews. It's also very light, in fact much lighter than their higher end N2A frameset (I recently upgraded from the Pro Carbon to the N2A)

Thanks a lot for the info. All the more useful from someone who actually owns one. Sure the flex issue is not that important, the reviewers have to find some negatives after all. Tempted by the Pro Carbon but it's the RT58 which really floats my boat.
  • diamonddog
    I think you have just answered your own question about which one to get!

I would go and get one and enjoy it while we have the nice weather.
  • Camcycle1974
    diamonddog wrote:
    I think you have just answered your own question about which one to get!

I would go and get one and enjoy it while we have the nice weather.

Cheers DD. Sensible advice! Just have to convince the wife which could throw a spanner in the works.
  • diamonddog
    Buy her some shoes, always works for me !!!
  • Camcycle1974
    diamonddog wrote:
    Buy her some shoes, always works for me !!!

Would have to be Jimmy Choo's or similar. Unfortunately she's not that easily bought off. She's the sensible, practical one. I'm the reckless, impulsive one :cry:

The flexy comments about the Pro Carbon do put me off a bit if I'm honest as do the the somewhat alarming reports of early carbon fatigue. Have looked at Ribble but I don't really like their offerings. The R872 is the only one I would consider but I know someone who has one and it's too race orientated for my tastes. He is struggling with the low, stretched position on his and thinking of moving on. The RT-58 for me strikes the right balance between performance/comfort/price and looks.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Thanks a lot for the info. All the more useful from someone who actually owns one. Sure the flex issue is not that important, the reviewers have to find some negatives after all. Tempted by the Pro Carbon but it's the RT58 which really floats my boat.

So you are getting the RT58 :-) Or even maybe the RT57 ;-)
    Simon
  • Camcycle1974

So you are getting the RT58 :-) Or even maybe the RT57 ;-)

57 was a possibility but heavier frame (still externally routed) and it's not currently in stock in my size. I suspect they could be phasing it out.

Have been told a new website is on it's way. might wait a while and see what happens.
  • diamonddog
    Off you go then one RT58 and 1 pair of Jimmy Choos or Laboutins (there are 2 wardrobes full at home would second hand do for her?) Ha Ha
    Good luck
  • Camcycle1974
    diamonddog wrote:
    Off you go then one RT58 and 1 pair of Jimmy Choos or Laboutins (there are 2 wardrobes full at home would second hand do for her?) Ha Ha
    Good luck

Lol. My problem is that she is cheap (no, not in that way!) Her sister would be a push over for some second hand Laboutins, mine is not so easily pleased. Might bribe her with a nice weekend break instead :idea: