Keyless Lock Problem

BMKN
BMKN Posts: 222
edited July 2013 in Commuting general
I bought a lock with no key and tried to set the code, for some reason I cant close the dam lock now and I have entered in the code I put in and the original code but nothing, It's just a standard cable lock, I dont know what to do as I would like to use it so I can cycle to the park and run at my lunch hour, I would rather not buy a new one

Comments

• 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    methodically try to guess the code? Start what you thought you set it to, and try combinations close to that first.
    Or a new lock.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    if it's just a standard cable lock and it's open, then you should be able to look in the end and move the counters round until the slot appears, assuming that you're able to see in the end
  • folsom1
    folsom1 Posts: 24
    gbsahne wrote:
    if it's just a standard cable lock and it's open, then you should be able to look in the end and move the counters round until the slot appears, assuming that you're able to see in the end
    This. If it's the sort where you have to enter the combination and then push a button to release the lock, you can sometimes "feel" it open. Press gently on the button and feel for which wheel is hardest to turn. Click it round slowly whilst applying pressure to the button and when you get to the right number, the wheel will loosen up. Then repeat for the other three wheels!

Depends on the quality of the lock...more expensive ones with better manufacturing tolerances will be more difficult!
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    gbsahne wrote:

+1 Forget the above post by me, unless you enjoy wasting your time:-)
  • BMKN
    BMKN Posts: 222
    Ok I think Ill just buy a new one I thought there night have been an easier solution, it was a Halfords cheapo one but still 20quid when I dont really use a lock
  • jacknorell
    jacknorell Posts: 62
    If it's four rings and you can remember at least one number, you have at most 1,000 variations to try. A couple of hours when watching telly and you'd have it open!
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    16mm wrote:
    +1 Forget the above post by me, unless you enjoy wasting your time:-)

:D