superstar superleggia hubs

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
had a problem with the free hub not engaging on my superleggia rear hub. took it to LBS and he couldn't get the hub apart, is there a special tool required to take it apart?

however, when he put the bits back together that he'd managed to get off everything was working fine again. hope stylee 'clicky' hub and it was engaging fine. any ideas anyone?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No special tool needed (apart from the guy holding the hammer!), just follow the instructions (remove end caps, then either pull off freehub, or if its stuck as usual knock axle out to disc side so the freehub falls off).

Never had a problem with mine so can't answer the why bit, but there is no weather seal so do it when it's cold (moisture freezing inside) and they are also known to do it when over greased.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    ok cheers mate, he did hit it with a big mallet and it still wouldn't come out. I think i'll just try another shop :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mine took a fair old smack to start it moving.....once it did it was fine, you drive the axle out taking the disc side bearing with it, I used an allen key socket inside the axe so as not to mark the end.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.