Nasty nail, do I need to replace this tyre?

pyrowill
pyrowill Posts: 40
edited July 2013 in MTB general
Hi guys,

Bit of advice needed. Some ass left a nail on the Grand Union canal path and I got a pretty impressive straight through puncture. i think its safe to say the inner tube is a write off. But I wanted some advice, do you think the tyre would be ok or would need replacing. it's a 'The Captain Sport' tyre on a Specialized Rockhopper 2012. Thanks

20130716_091653_zpsb5a8e497.jpg

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd try and fix them both. But a new tyre too and if the fix does hold then whap the new one on.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd try and fix them both. But a new tyre too and if the fix does hold then whap the new one on.
    Drunk already?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 40
    cooldad wrote:
    Drunk already?

I was wondering lol
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    pyrowill wrote:
    Hi guys,

Bit of advice needed. Some ass left a nail on the Grand Union canal path and I got a pretty impressive straight through puncture. i think its safe to say the inner tube is a write off.
    Innertube should be fine. Just patch it. Tyre will most likely be fine too.
  • ncn
    ncn Posts: 123
    Probably be fine patched but you will have compromised a bit of side wall integrity.

Kind of like why you can't repair side walls on cars as they give the tyre its rigidity, obviously it's not as important on a bike though.

Patch and see how it goes.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Patch them both. If it had gone through the rim, that would be more serious
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er