Silver hubs, silver rims

beancounter
beancounter Posts: 369
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'd like a new set of wheels for my titanium Colnago.

Beacause of the finish on the frame I'd like a set with silver rims and hubs. If Campag still made Record hubs in silver I'd have had those, but they're only black these days.

Light would be nice (I'm 72kg); not bothered either way about aero.

Budget flexible!

Any recommendations?

bc
2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
2010 Colnago C50
2005 Colnago C40
2002 Colnago CT1
2010 Colnago World Cup
2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
2009 Merckx LXM
1995 Lemond Gan Team

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Pmp or Royce hubs, perhaps some silver archetype rims?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Ambrossio.

Pick the rims to suit and a hub per your wallet and bling demand. :P

An Ambrossio hub will do but you can spend more if you want. Don't go for Royce if you want to be unique. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Hope do Silver Hubs. I have them on my Tubs

9149848959_733f03ea0f_z_d.jpg
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Ambrosio/Novatec for reasonably priced or PMP/Royce for expensive ones... you can find NOS Campagnolo ones on Ebay... Hope is good for Shimano/SRAM only.

The best silver rims are Archetype polished or TB 14 if you want something looking classic. All the other silver rims are anodised and not polished
    left the forum March 2023
  • smidsy
    Well the OP has not actually stated his requirements, merley expressed a desire for a campag record hub (presumably because of their quality).

I suppose campag compatible is therefor likely...boooo :-(
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • beancounter
    smidsy wrote:
    Well the OP has not actually stated his requirements, merley expressed a desire for a campag record hub (presumably because of their quality).

I suppose campag compatible is therefor likely...boooo :-(

Sorry, yes, Campag all the way....

bc
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    I've got silver Ambrosio hubs fitted to Open Pro CD rims on my Colnago. They give a lovely ride.
  • ugo.santalucia
    this is a set I built on Novatec hubs silver and Archetype rims

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12927280&p=18381681&hilit=burls#p18381681
  • binkybike
    binkybike Posts: 104
    this is a set I built on Novatec hubs silver and Archetype rims

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12927280&p=18381681&hilit=burls#p18381681

Nice, that is what I had in mind until you persuaded me to go black!
  • smidsy
    binkybike wrote:

Now, now, don't look black in anger :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • binkybike
    binkybike Posts: 104
    smidsy wrote:
    binkybike wrote:

Now, now, don't look black in anger :lol:

Black will also be very nice, no worries.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I think during the polishing process they produce a lot of oxide, which they then don't clean. The oxide gunks the nipples and I have rounded a few whilst building silver Archetype rims, despite oiling the holes. I still have to find a way to remove it completely before lubricating the holes... that is the reason I prefer to use the black or the grey ones
  • cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    smidsy wrote:

One word of warning with Hope, the Campagnolo compatibility is questionable. I bought a pair of Pro3/Open Pro wheels and the 10 speed Veloce cassette would not fit. After numerous attempts for both me and my LBS to resolve this with Hope including them sending us several replacement parts I returned the wheel.

They are officially not 11sp compatable, but the new 10sp will not work either as the freehub body is not long enough and therefore the cassette lockring jams against the rear dropout. The same cassette works 100% fine on a Mavic hub.
  • Oxo
    Oxo Posts: 144
    I'm having a wheelset made up for the Master 30th later this week. The spec comprises; silver 32H Ambrosio Excellight SSC rims with polished alloy PMP 32H Campag 11s hubs, PMP Titanium QRs + DT Swiss Comp spokes.
    Can fire a picture up here when complete if you're interested in seeing them?
    Sunday Best: 2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    Foul Weather: 2010 Kinesis Racelight T2
    Commuter: 1958 Holdsworth Zephyr Fixed Gear
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I bought some very nice NOS Veloce hubs and then some silver Ambrossio Excellights off the UK importer. Got the LBS to make them up with DT Swiss competition spokes and they are lovely...albeit that something has now come lose in the rim (LBS reckons it is 'fixing pegs' as the noise is coming from right where the join in the rim is). Maddening as hell at very low speeds but fine when moving properly.

Given the choice I would go Mavic Open Pro next time round, they are a slightly boring choice but they just work great, without any fuss. The only problem is that they don't come in silver for the options I want for this wheelset, ho hum.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I bought some very nice NOS Veloce hubs and then some silver Ambrossio Excellights off the UK importer. Got the LBS to make them up with DT Swiss competition spokes and they are lovely...albeit that something has now come lose in the rim (LBS reckons it is 'fixing pegs' as the noise is coming from right where the join in the rim is). Maddening as hell at very low speeds but fine when moving properly.

Given the choice I would go Mavic Open Pro next time round, they are a slightly boring choice but they just work great, without any fuss. The only problem is that they don't come in silver for the options I want for this wheelset, ho hum.

Debris inside the rims is not unusual... yours have eyelets, so the only way to get it out is via the valve hole, I reckon... worth trying to remove the rim tape and suck the debris with a vacuum cleaner
  • beancounter
    Oxo wrote:
    I'm having a wheelset made up for the Master 30th later this week. The spec comprises; silver 32H Ambrosio Excellight SSC rims with polished alloy PMP 32H Campag 11s hubs, PMP Titanium QRs + DT Swiss Comp spokes.

Yes, I'd like to see those very much

bc
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    A link to the history of my wheels with pics included..

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12847699&hilit=royce

Note that I now have polished nuts on the QR's. :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Miche hubs appear to be reasonably priced too and go up to 11 for Campy.

http://www.miche.it/en/catalogo/catalog ... racing-box
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    NOS Record Titanium hubs in polished silver are selling north of £250 on ebay as they are prized by collectors. Electra Ticino is a Sheriff Star replica road hub for similar money if you want bling. Sdeals are doing the Novatecs in polished alloy for good money - same hubs as Ambrisio Zeniths. Miche are OK, just not as 'classic' looking.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Oxo
    Oxo Posts: 144
    Oxo wrote:

Yes, I'd like to see those very much

bc

Here you go. Not particularly light - 1780g (bare) - but they sure look purdy :D

Actual weights for the PMP hubs:
    Front Hub: 112g
    Rear Hub: 287g
    Skewers: 70g for pair

One thing to note - the Ambrosio logos on the rims are stickers, not laser printed as per the black rims so will probably look tatty and be removed in short order when the bike's finished.

IMG_2844.jpg
    IMG_2843.jpg
    IMG_2842.jpg
    Sunday Best: 2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    Foul Weather: 2010 Kinesis Racelight T2
    Commuter: 1958 Holdsworth Zephyr Fixed Gear
  • beancounter
    Yes they're very nice indeed, I particularly like the PMP skewers!

I went with a pair of silver Open Pro rims on NOS Campag Veloce hubs. Very reasonably priced but not light, which is ok as I've decided to use them as commuting wheels.

Not that they've arrived yet, though...

bc
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Miche hubs are good but there is still NOS stock of veloce hubs around :wink: laced to polished archetype rims would be pretty.

Mixhe hubs can coe in mixed drillings too if you talk to the right dealer and 24H frontss are available too.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    :cry: I wish Campagnolo would do silver record hubs again
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    smidsy wrote:

One word of warning with Hope, the Campagnolo compatibility is questionable. I bought a pair of Pro3/Open Pro wheels and the 10 speed Veloce cassette would not fit. After numerous attempts for both me and my LBS to resolve this with Hope including them sending us several replacement parts I returned the wheel.

They are officially not 11sp compatable, but the new 10sp will not work either as the freehub body is not long enough and therefore the cassette lockring jams against the rear dropout. The same cassette works 100% fine on a Mavic hub.

Cheers for that. I've got a Hope pro III hub with a 10 speed Centaur cassette and it works fine - but it's a 2010 cassette. I'll be wary of replacing it with a modern one unless it's a simple returns policy on it.
  • beancounter
    Miche hubs are good but there is still NOS stock of veloce hubs around :wink: laced to polished archetype rims would be pretty.

Mixhe hubs can coe in mixed drillings too if you talk to the right dealer and 24H frontss are available too.

Thanks, but if you could just send me the ones I ordered on ebay I'd be a happy bunny!

bc
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team