3x10 to 2x10

Lowride
Lowride Posts: 214
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a 2013 Trek Remedy 7 and want to ditch the big ring so I have 2x10, I also want to fit a Blackspire Stinger chain tensioner. Is it as simple as removing the big ring and fitting the Stinger to the BB?

I don't need thirty gears and I'm fed up of the chain coming off on fast, rocky DH

Comments

• Barrelmaker
    Barrelmaker Posts: 188
    Yes, just remove the big ring, if you aren't fitting a bash you will probably need shorter chainring bolts. Make sure you change the limits on your front derailleur as well.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Lowride wrote:
    I've got a 2013 Trek Remedy 7 and want to ditch the big ring so I have 2x10, I also want to fit a Blackspire Stinger chain tensioner. Is it as simple as removing the big ring and fitting the Stinger to the BB?

I don't need thirty gears and I'm fed up of the chain coming off on fast, rocky DH

Shorten the chain whilst you're at it.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    And fit a bashguard. Stinger isn't meant to, and will not work on it's own.

Some more info for you though, If you have a Shimano crankset, with a hollowtech II bottom bracket, you will almost certainly have a spacer or two on the drive side (I forget how many go where for different BB sizes, it's been a while since I changed one).
    If you're fitting the BB-mount stinger, then it replaces one of those spacers, the one closest to the BB housing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Stinger is not a tensioner (despite what it says on the website) it's a guide, it adds no tension
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Lowride
    Lowride Posts: 214
    Thanks lads..

Rookie, have you ever been on a Bike Yard thursday evening ride?