Cyclocross for road training

Cookie91
Cookie91 Posts: 97
Afternoon! I hope that everyone is enjoying the sunshine and le tour!

I know it may seem early for some since summer is in it's peak, however before long the days will start getting shorter, wetter and a damn sight colder. Hopefully not until october though! I would just a like a bit of advice as to weather having a dabble at cyclocross this winter a) should be great fun! b) good training to keep form/improve for next season? My plan was hopefully to get a cheapish cyclocross bike and use it as my winter hack and have a dabble at cyclocross.
Anyone have any experience or advice?

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I'd been thinking the same way myself. Although realistically I can't afford it.

CX seems to be a traditional thing to do in the winter!
  • As long as it motivates you and you get out and ride it should help your fitness
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    An hour of high intensity exercise is what it will give you. I know road riders that go well on the back of a cyclocross season. I know other riders that go equally well during the road season without it. Cross is fun though, and that's reason enough.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    If you want to race cross do it but not because it's good road training. I tried it and it's a lot of time out of the weekend for an hours riding and round here at least it's getting expensive if you are just treating it as a bit of fun. I'd much rather do a local chaingang or even a turbo session midweek for high intensity and use the daylight at weekends for a longer training ride.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    But when the roads are covered in ice you can hit the railway paths instead.
  • Cookie91
    Cookie91 Posts: 97
    Well for myself it will be mainly for fun / training. I haven't got/willing to make the time to train all out for cyclocross.
    I was just curious to here peoples opinions, i quite like the idea of getting wet/muddy it reminds me of rugby but on wheels!

Anywho, I fancy giving it a dabble. Now I have no idea where to start, does anyone know of any good web pages looking into the basic gear or local routes (Bristol). Also i assume that a CX bike does not use standard road cleats?
  • Jimmer71
    Jimmer71 Posts: 1
    As above, it gives you a good 'interval' that for me is hard to replicate with training. I don't train specifically for it but it offers something more interesting and varied than TTs and racing is fairly friendly and definitely fun.

Summer 'cross in Bristol has just finished and that had the benefit of minimal bike cleaning after each race. Winter is different though and cna take a fair amount of bike cleaning for a one hour race. I built mine up with discounted parts from across the internet and got a frame from Paul Milnes (all good except the lack of bottle cage drillings makes non-racing use a logistical problem). I can get around Ashton Court OK on it but generally make up my own bridlepath type loops when not racing.

And, no you definitely don't want road pedals - double sided MTB jobbies are the way to go.
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    I don't race CX but use one as my winter bike with a set of my usual road tyres on one set of wheels and a set of knobblies on another so I can ride roads while it is wet and crappy and as soon as winter and ice arrive I change wheels and go off road. For a winter/commuter/all rounder I can't see why you wouldn't choose a cyclo cross over a road bike