more sporting drug cheats....

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited July 2013 in The hub
now Tyson gay and asafa powell have been caught

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/23321624

what other sports do you reckon drugs (non recreational) are prevelant in? I've just read tyler hamiltons book 'the secret race' and it was a bit of an eye opener and he hints that in the US, baseball, basketball and American football are rife.

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Thumb wrestling. You should see some of the thumbs down the gym - no way they could get that big naturally.
  • welshkev
    see, I posted this in here not the crud cos I wanted some serious answers, now go and stick your thumb up........ oh wait, we're not in the crudcatcher :wink::lol:
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I was looking at those two's times a couple of weeks back thinking they are running real quick this season. This shows why.

We need level playing grounds, all professional sports where athletic ability is a must should have stringent testing.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    well the obvious is football, they won't pass a performance drug test or a coke / clubbing drug test monday morning, and all that for £100,000+ a week - bargain

tennis and golf are trying to clean up so that suggests they are pretty dirty sports and the Dr ferrari thing backs up why nadal was that good for a year and a half and never returned to form.

I think they are still allowed to use beta blockers playing golf........ most pro-sport is a cheat of some sort....
  • Woodmonkey
    Woodmonkey Posts: 412
    It's been said before but i think it's a huge achievement people performing so well on drugs, when i'm on drugs i can't even find my bike! seriously though Hopefully the new way of testing will help, athletes will have a base level "passport" recorded, and they will test for any unusual peaks then they will be investigated. rather than testing for specific drugs as they are always one step behind this way.
    And I always wonder about professional rugby players, they seem to get bigger and bigger but fitter and faster!
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Woodmonkey wrote:
    And I always wonder about professional rugby players, they seem to get bigger and bigger but fitter and faster!

The 2 best players in the recent Lions v Aus series were Leigh Halfpenny (Wales) and Will Genia (Aus) both of whom are never going to need to duck to walk through a low door. Rugby players are getting bigger and faster but compare the skills to players from 30 years ago and you see that more muscle doesnt mean better players.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • welshkev
    stubs wrote:
    Woodmonkey wrote:

The 2 best players in the recent Lions v Aus series were Leigh Halfpenny (Wales) and Will Genia (Aus) both of whom are never going to need to duck to walk through a low door. Rugby players are getting bigger and faster but compare the skills to players from 30 years ago and you see that more muscle doesnt mean better players.

I also think the game has changed, George north would probably have been a second row for wales back in the 70's :lol:
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    The bulk side of it came when the professional period came. What else is there to do when not actually rugby training - hit the gym.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    stubs wrote:
    Woodmonkey wrote:
    I know a (not long) ex professional rugby player, and he's confirmed that yep, pretty much everyone's "juiced up" as he put it.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    The bulk side of it came when the professional period came.
    I knew a girl who had professional periods once. She was blue blooded, and got a lot of work in advertising.
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    They all use supplements of various types, so I imagine it's not too great a leap from that to substances not entirely condoned to full on use of masking agents and whatnot, depending of the level of sport you're competing in, the people around you and available funds. I think that 'clean' sport is something of a myth/misnomer nowadays.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • YeehaaMcgee
    clamps81 wrote:
    They all use supplements of various types, so I imagine it's not too great a leap from that to substances not entirely condoned to full on use of masking agents and whatnot
    Not so sure.
    That's essentially like saying that most people drink these days, so it's not too great a leap from that to smoking, to drugs, to injecting heroin.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are not guilty yet, as the B samples have to be tested - but they are rarely contradicted. it will be a great shame for the sport, as both athletes have ran quicker than the times this season before, and have always returned negative tests.

Whatever the reasons, it is ultimately down to them to check what they ingest. Gay's reasons so far make no sense whatsoever.
  • welshkev
    just read this about chris froome:

Grappe said that there is nothing abnormal about Froome's performances, after looking into various details, including power data which he suggested is coherent with the Kenyan-born Briton's profile and consistent with that of a rider who is clean of drugs.

Froome has been tested 19 times during this Tour and 29 times in total this season

29 times!! :shock:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Yeah, but what they don't mention is that they were just basic literacy tests.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bl**dy hell, didn't know you could even spell literacy......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    The Rookie wrote:
    Bl**dy hell, didn't know you could even spell literacy......
    Just because you can't doesn't make it impossible.
  • The Rookie
    But I just did....... :twisted:
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Nah, you copied me. You just said, you didn't think it was possible.
  • The Rookie
    I never even used the word possible, so I guess that supports my original thought......
  • YeehaaMcgee
    :lol:
    Talking with you is a pretty good approximation of drug taking!
  • The Rookie
    Indeed, given what your saying that makes sense!