What else can he need?

My OH will be doing Ride London next month; this will be his first event of this kind and my role is Chief Supporter.

Having run a marathon earlier this year I have some idea of how to prepare for an endurance event, albeit on two legs, not two wheels. Where appropriate, I offer tales of my own experience and advice on scheduling training load and handy hints for the big day. I make sure he has homemade flap jack when he goes out on the bike and a protein & carbohydrate rich meal waiting for him when he gets home from his long ride.

Do you have any advice on how else I can support him before, during and after the event? (Bearing in mind this is the sportives section, not the bottom bracket - cheers! :lol: ).

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Try to look vaguely interested when he drones on endlessly about the weather for the next ride he is doing and which layers/combinations may or may not be the best. However, remain very non-commital when it comes to any options because if he gets it wrong (and he will, several times, if he is like the rest of us) then the blame will be coming your way.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    My OH will be doing Ride London next month; ... I make sure he has homemade flap jack when he goes out on the bike and a protein & carbohydrate rich meal waiting for him when he gets home from his long ride.

Do you have any advice on how else I can support him before, during and after the event?

He's a lucky man, think you do quite enough for him already!!

Seriously, just being positive, encouraging and sympathetic to his state of knackeredness on his return will trump anything else. Have you actually asked him if there's anything else you could do for him?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • You could, well, ahem, you know ...

I'm sure he'd enjoy it, it would release tension :wink: and it does help men sleep better
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Try to look vaguely interested when he drones on endlessly about the weather
    Check.
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    However, remain very non-commital when it comes to any options
    Righto.
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    because if he gets it wrong (and he will, several times, if he is like the rest of us) then the blame will be coming your way.
    *ducks*
    drlodge wrote:
    Have you actually asked him if there's anything else you could do for him?
    huh? You mean men don't use telepathic communication?
    You could, well, ahem, you know ...
    :shock:

Thanks guys, keep em coming!
  • If he hasn't done any group riding before, the best thing you can do is encourage him to join a couple of
    suitably paced local club rides. Some experience with riding safely with others will probably do more to
    ensure he has a safe and enjoyable ride than any other support you may be able to provide on the day....
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Does he have a big ego? Was going to suggest pacing him on a ride but not if he is like to get grumpy about it
  • The best thing you can do is encourage him to join a couple of
    suitably paced local club rides.
    He's not done much group riding and his main event experience was to be the London-Brighton ride but he was ill that weekend. Now he's into his taper and the mileage has dropped to something sensible perhaps a group ride this weekend would be a good idea - thanks!
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Was going to suggest pacing him on a ride
    ooo, another good idea - though he's faster than me. We've been out a few times and he's pootled along behind me. I know in marathon training it's recommended that the short runs are intervals/speed work but the long runs should be slower than marathon pace. Is cycling similar?