Chain stay protection/cable route

ncn
ncn Posts: 123
edited July 2013 in MTB general
I have noticed quite a bit of noise from the chain hitting the stay and there are quite a few marks there now all the way along. I was just wondering with this cable routing what is the best option of protecting the frame from the chain chewing it up too far?

chainstay_zpsf796a56c.png

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    An old inner tube or neoprene chainstay protector, just feed it between the cable and chainstay.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    My Kraken has the same type of routing. I couldn't find a neoprene protector short enough to fit between cable and frame, so shortened one to suit.
  • ncn
    After a bit of fettling and watching of youtube. I routed out the free neoprene I got with MBR and cut it down and just used some ty-wraps to secure it as the threading of the velcro came loose when I cut it.

Also had a go at a ghetto chain guide made out of a rear reflector as seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS1jQ9qJ_uQ

Works quite well but looks tacky so may get a proper one.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    ncn wrote:
    After a bit of fettling and watching of youtube. I routed out the free neoprene I got with MBR and cut it down and just used some ty-wraps to secure it as the threading of the velcro came loose when I cut it.

I had the woman at the sewing place just up the road overlock the cut end to stop it unravelling. Took her all of about sixty seconds.
  • ncn
    That's a good plan but the ty wraps work well enough for now :)
  • ncn
    This is how it finished up. Think I'll get a proper chain guide though as it looks a bit gash.
    20130712_160614_zps50231136.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why do you want that thing you made - totally pointless
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ncn
    Just had it spare so thought I would give it a go, before buying a real one.

There is no noise at all now but I think that's just down too the neoprene.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    ncn wrote:
    Just had it spare so thought I would give it a go, before buying a real one.

There is no noise at all now but I think that's just down too the neoprene.
    Yep, entirely down to the neoprene.