Anyone own a Focus Culebro SL 2.0???

Levenstein
Levenstein Posts: 23
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
It looks bloody awesome. And value seems good but check this review:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-focus-culebro-sl-20-13-46866
"There’s a lot to like about this good value race bike – but it’s not a comfy cruiser"
Sounds like a bit of a hatchet job.....why put a compact chainset and shallow drops on a harsh-riding race bike?

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Have a PX Pro Carbon with Rival had it about a year with no frame problems, also a friend of mine has the same bike and he weighs nearly twice as much as me (51kg > 95kg) and he has not mentioned anything untowards on our rides.
    It is really good value for money and ride wise it is very responsive but can feel a little light on the front end to start with, something you get used to and forget about after a couple of rides.

I would sooner form my own opinion than go whole heartedly with what a review says.

Which ever bike you go for enjoy it.
  • diamonddog
    It is quite racy but I do longer rides on it without any problems. Still building up to really long rides on it, changed my saddle to a less padded one and it is much better and a good pair of padded shorts help. Upgraded a few bits to make it even lighter than it was originally (size small approx 7.6kg now 7.32kg) still a few bits to change if I fancy making it lighter. PX RT57 might be an option have a look at the geometry on web site I think it is bit more relaxed.
  • diamonddog
    Search the Your Bikes section I have seen RT58 and RT57 on there you could ask for their impressions of the bikes.
    They may even be local to you so perhaps arrange to go and see them if poss.
  • c-mac
    c-mac Posts: 30
    Bought the Culebro 2 just under 2 weeks ago. Has been comfy enough for me, although I've only covered about 26 miles.

However, the crankset arm broke off this morning! Getting the shop to have a look at it tomorrow. I'm sure this is a one off problem though.

Providing the shop sort, which I'm sure they will, I'd buy again.
  • Alexvs
    Alexvs Posts: 52
    Not exactly the same bike but I own the Cayo Evo 4 and can highly recommend them. According to the Focus site the Culebro is the road range, Cayo Evo the performance range and Izalco the elite range. If the geometry of the Culebro is anything like the Cayo Evo I'd say it's perfectly usable on all types of rides. I've owned it just over 3 weeks and have covered just over 200 miles on it, ranging from the commute to work and back which is an 11 mile round trip to the 40-45 mile weekend ride. I'll be joining a local club shortly and their club ride is normally 40 - 70 miles depending on which route they take so will be extending my rides. I've not felt uncomfortable yet as I take adequate breaks as and when needed due to having a weak lower back that I'm working on strengthening and going longer and longer between breaks every ride. On the test club run I did on Sunday we only stopped once at a cafe and completed 45 miles.

As a comparison I came from a Specialized Secteur Comp which was a very relaxed geometry bike and feel this is as comfortable but in a completely different league and actually prefer the more racy position to what I had before. Hope that's of some help.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Stanley222 wrote:
    The RT57 is nice but I thought it was the RT58 that was the sportive ride? I realise I should go and ride them but there's no Planet X dealers anywhere near me!

I thought Bikescience in Bristol (close to Evans Cycles) had a hook up with Planet X so you might get to try one there?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Sorry should have looked before posting. Bike Science no longer deal with Planet X. Have some nice Kuotas in though!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • c-mac
    c-mac Posts: 30
    Stanley222 wrote:
    c-mac wrote:
    Bought the Culebro 2 just under 2 weeks ago. Has been comfy enough for me, although I've only covered about 26 miles.

However, the crankset arm broke off this morning! Getting the shop to have a look at it tomorrow. I'm sure this is a one off problem though.

Providing the shop sort, which I'm sure they will, I'd buy again.

Thanks but I wish you'd done a few hundred miles rather than 26 before recommending it - is this your first road bike or is it an upgrade?

This is an upgrade from a Triban 3. Fair comment, I haven't rode enough to give an accurate assessment. Good luck with the purchase.