Giant Defy 0

Fil6914
Fil6914 Posts: 74
edited November 2013 in Your road bikes
Sorry guys if the photos don't conform to the standard but just too excited about my new Defy 0 so wanted to show it off ASAP ha ha

700734218d25f81c646ed4b8a8882273_zps95368dff.jpg
487e2f51853eb9ae03ef15f35ca11c60_zps5aeb1990.jpg
8b0a6223ce56e9ce35ca12a3a569ff29_zpsaabe5ed7.jpg
221b4b145d619e3bfe24ebc01daa5126_zps7894e34c.jpg
9caf6582f8cd10e2d559c59994c695fa_zpsdb84c11f.jpg
7d3edd462ca5f45b59ea40ebbc423530_zps87f4951d.jpg

Spec is as follows

Key Features;

- Aluxx SL aluminium frame
- Advanced grade composite fork with aluminium steerer
- Shimano Ultegra 20 speed shifters and rear derailleur
- Shimano R565 34/50 chainset with press fit bottom bracket
- Giant Connect composite seat post
- Giant PR2 rims with sealed cartridge hubs
Frame

Sizes S, M, M/L, L, XL
Colours Black / White / Blue
Frame ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminium
Fork Advanced-Grade Composite, Alloy OverDrive Steerer
Shock N/A
Components

Handlebar Giant Connect
Stem Giant Connect
Seatpost Giant Connect Composite
Saddle Giant Defy saddle
Pedals N/A
Drivetrain

Shifters Shimano Ultegra
Front Derailleur Shimano 105
Rear Derailleur Shimano Ultegra
Brakes Shimano BR-561
Brake Levers Shimano Ultegra
Cassette Shimano Tiagra 12x28, 10s
Chain KMC X10L
Crankset Shimano R565, 34/50
Bottom Bracket Shimano, Press Fit
Wheels

Rims Giant P-R2
Hubs Giant Sealed Bearings 24/28h
Spokes Sapim Race 14/15g
Tires Giant P-R3, 700x23c

I've added shimano R540 clip less pedals and a strada wireless computer

Hope you like

Phil
Road - Giant Defy 0
Road - carrera virtuoso
MTB - Kona cindercone MTB 1997

Comments

• notlongnow
    notlongnow Posts: 176
    nice
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    Nice indeed. Nothing beats that new bike feeling.

DD.
  • Fil6914
    Fil6914 Posts: 74
    Cheers guys I was beginning to think my post was invisible 430 views and only 2 comments :-( is my bike crap and nobody wants to say so lol

Phil
    Road - Giant Defy 0
    Road - carrera virtuoso
    MTB - Kona cindercone MTB 1997
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Fil6914 wrote:
    Cheers guys I was beginning to think my post was invisible 430 views and only 2 comments :-( is my bike crap and nobody wants to say so lol

Phil
    Its far from crap. However I find Giant bikes completely lacking in aesthetic appeal or design flair. they just don't do it for me. If you like it and enjoy riding it, that's all that matters.
  • Haughjd
    Haughjd Posts: 93
    Hi I've had mine since early May. Every ride I love it more, such a nice bike.
  • Graeme Jones
    Graeme Jones Posts: 361
    Lovely stuff! I love the Defy I have the 2012 Defy 3 and can't fault it. I'm in a quandary to upgrade to shimano 105 or put that towards a new Defy Advanced 1 or 2!
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Great bike dude.

Now, I know its new and you are excited. I will forgive the setup and positioning, seat tilt etc, but for God sake get rid of the bloody plastic ring off your cassette.
  • GRicha
    GRicha Posts: 90
    Great bike dude.

Now, I know its new and you are excited. I will forgive the setup and positioning, seat tilt etc, but for God sake get rid of the bloody plastic ring off your cassette.

:P
  • Paulf1566
    Paulf1566 Posts: 48
    I ve had one of these for a month, my first road bike for 25 years! Love it, nearly bought a Bianchi but opted for the Defy 0 and find it fantastic.
    Ride to live.......live to Ride!
  • dkdaz
    dkdaz Posts: 1
    I am picking mine up on Saturday and I cant wait :D
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    edited October 2013
    I purchased a GIANT Defy 0 recently, my first road bike, MTB for the past 26yrs, I'm very pleased with it. Only done 250 dry miles to date, however I'm already addicted, I won't be using it as a winter bike though, it's to nice for that.
  • I've had a Giant scr3 as my winter/commuter bike for about 7 or 8 years, slowly wearing out parts and buying other bits to keep it chugging along. It's done thousands of miles and, whilst heavy, tootles along well enough. I'd look at a Giant when upgrading the best bike (or if/when the winter sh*ter eventually breaks!). They are good bikes .....end of!
  • Vandiesel
    Vandiesel Posts: 506
    Lovely bike mate enjoy
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • Lovely bike I have a defy too. However I do wonder why the put such a mix of components on this model.

Low range crankset, calipers and Tiagra cassette with ultegra shifters, they may as well have done 105 throughout!
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Lovely bike I have a defy too. However I do wonder why the put such a mix of components on this model.

Low range crankset, calipers and Tiagra cassette with ultegra shifters, they may as well have done 105 throughout!

That was one of my gripes about it. Bling Ultegara rear mech/shifters then pretty bog standard everywhere else. Would have preferred a full 105 group which is what I have now. Stock wheels not the greatest either, these should have been upgraded from the Defy 1 by Giant. Basically for your extra £200 you get a better rear mech, shifters and slightly better brakes. Nicer paint job though :lol:
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Looks good! I've done 7k miles on my 2012 Defy 1 and it hasn't skipped a beat - such a great frameset!

Only things I'd recommend is to change the saddle, and tyres (although in fairness the PR3s are fine for winter riding - get something nicer for summer though)/
  • dj58
    I'm upgrading mine to full Ultegra apart from the cassette, having the heavier Tiagra CS-4600 does not bother me. I agree that the standard wheels need upgrading though.
  • My issue with the 0 is that it's £200 more expensive than the 1 and you don't get much more for your money. I recently sold mine and got a Ribble 872 with full 105 for £1234 (inc delivery) which makes it look poor value although the 2013 can be had for £1000 now if you can find one in the right size. Not knocking Giant per se, the Aluxx SL frame is great but my carbon 872 is more comfortable with better kit for the same outlay.
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    I have just got one of these as a winter bike and really like it, so far doesn't feel much slower than my summer bike. One thing I would like to change is the crankset. I have a couple of FSA SL-K cranks on other bikes I could borrow, one BB30 and one Megaexo. Before I pull stuff apart can anyone tell me which one will fit / is better for the job and also which FSA BB do I need to buy, as I presume the standard BB30 BB won't fit. Is the described Shimano press fit BB that is standard on the bike a PF30 BB for Shimano Hollowtech cranks so a PF30 and BB30 crank is the best way to go?
  • dj58
    simonj

I think the standard Shimano press-fit BB on the Defy is a SM-BB91 86.5mm wide. If you look on the Shimano Europe website there are 2 pdf files showing details.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp Select Road Bikes/Non-Series Components/SM-BB91
    Click on the 2 light blue coloured links to open the pdfs

I would imagine that you will need to find the equivalent FSA BB to use with your Chainset. According to the Park Blue Book the BB30 has a 42mm bore dia, PF30 has a 46mm dia. bore, whereas the Shimano BB86/90/95 has a 41mm bore dia.

Info taken from Table 7.1 page 79 3rd edition.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    luuverly...