How much difference with new tyres

JimboM
JimboM Posts: 380
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
I've got a 20mile charity ride coming up in a couple of weeks and as my training hasn't gone quite to plan I'm looking at all ways to help me complete it! My bike currently has Schwalbe Luganos on it, not sure how the rolling resistance compares on these but am I likely to notice any improvement by switching these out to something like Conti GP4000s.

Thanks

Jim
Cannondale Synapse 105
Giant FCR3
GT Avalanche 3.0
Canyon Nerve AM 6.0

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I have no experience of these particular tyres but the difference can be night and day. Hopefully someone will be able to chip in.
    For example:-
    Bontranger Hardcase - Horrible, horrible wooden tyres with no grip in the wet.
    Continental 4 Season - Comfy with grip in all weathers.
    Vittorio Open Pave/Veloflex Master - Supremely comfy with good grip but expensive and cut up easily.

Horses for courses and everyone has their favourites.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Changes this close before any event are not a great idea. With the distance of 20 miles, I doubt the tyres will make a great deal of difference, and other characteristics may be offputting (even good ones).

FWIW I tried 4000s on my bike and didn't like them. I strongly suspect I had something wrong, but I found they made the bike a little skittish.

Unless you ave a real problem, stick with what's on for now.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Churchill123
    Churchill123 Posts: 341
    I put some michelin pro 4's on my bike to replace the stock tyres that the bike came with.. bike feels much much better to ride, and ultimately my average speed has increased... although im sure getting quicker is due to getting fitter and ridding more
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    Sorry the ride is 250miles not 20!

Doesn't have to be GP4000s so if anybody has a better recommendation then please chip in
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Makes a bit of a difference, but I'd probably be even more wary of such a change.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've bern riding gp4seasons since last sept ... Great tyre. New ride has 4000s and the 200 miles so far has been just as good ... Can't tell if they're better as the whole bike changed
  • You'll notice naff all difference. I'd go for something that "might", afford you better odds at avoiding punctures yet is still a good roller. Avoiding the time taken to change a puncture will be far more than any marginal improvement in rolling resistance- even over 250m.

Michelin Pro 4 Endurance yet again get my vote...
  • Churchill123
    Churchill123 Posts: 341
    Do you mean 120 miles? If the charity ride is really 20 miles, tyres aren’t worth worrying about.

Tyres with low rolling resistance make a noticeable difference, but they also increase your risk of getting a puncture along the route.

Churchill123: which of the several Michelin Pro4 tyres did you get? Plenty of variety within the Pro4 stable:

• Comp Limited Service Course
    • Comp Service Course
    • Service Course
    • Grip Service Course
    • Tubular Service Course
    • Endurance

I’m curious about these. They seem to be technically excellent, but everyone talks about Continentals instead. Just the much better marketing of the Contis, or are they actually better tyres?

700 23 Service course - so far so good after a few hundred miles.. Roll nicely and inspire confidence on twisty stuff :)
  • TOM14S
    TOM14S Posts: 100
    I’m curious about these. They seem to be technically excellent, but everyone talks about Continentals instead. Just the much better marketing of the Contis, or are they actually better tyres?

It's just the same regular posters that say conti over n over again to the point I don't normally bother replying. In my humble opinion I prefer Michelin. Run both endurance and service course and prefer them to the Conti's. People even say gator skins are a good all-around tyre on here sometimes but they're lifeless not grippy and weigh a load more than Mich endurance and yet I ride the endurance and their krylion predecessors in all conditions and on dodgy roads and have had little issue with them at all. (only reason Ive tried gator skins is they came with some cheep wheels I bought off eBay. 50 miles later they were binned).
    Plus I'm a tart and I like to have some tyre colour choices :)
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    Luganos are ok. Cheap tyre yes, but we've had a few pairs and im happy to ride them for anything short of time trialling
    jc
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    TOM14S wrote:
    It's just the same regular posters that say conti over n over again to the point I don't normally bother replying.
    To be fair - there are many who also say Michelin ...

[quote="TOM14S"In my humble opinion I prefer Michelin.[/quote] It is a bit of personal preference. I've run Specialized tyres & their Armadillos then moved onto Conti GP4 Seasons - since then I've only had 1 puncture in them and that was when I borrowed my wifes back wheel (with her GP4Seasons) and it was a pinch flat where I ran over a flint - seeing as I run over some pretty cr4ppy road surfaces I'm pleased with that performance.
    Since then I've got some GP4000s and found them great too - but it's only been a couple of hundred miles so a bit early to say.
    I think I'd concur with you re Gatorskins ... but then my little brother uses them and swears by them too ...
  • Can't believe you came on here asking about tyres, with the aim of getting some marginal gains on the ride.
    MTFU :twisted:

Andy

PS See you at the startline tomorrow!
    :D
    New Malden to Epsom Downs
    60 percent of the time, all of the time
    Wilier Triestina
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
    Rose Xeon CW-3100 Di2
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've got GP4000S 23c on one bike and GP4Season 25c on another...for best performance I'd choose GP4000S every time, but the GP4Seasons are great all rounders.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    Over 250 miles you'll have other more significant things to worry about than the small difference in rolling resistance between various brands. Instead make sure your position on the bike is right, everything secure, check tyres for flints and debris, plaster your nethers in chamois cream and make sure you eat right. I rode a similar distance this week and tyre choice never even occurred to me
  • Strangely enough, we did a 100 miler on Saturday to Brighton and back.
    It was noted that my rear Michelin Pro4 tyre looked a bit squishy, despite it being pumped up in the morning.
    Next evening, I get the bike out to discover a flat rear tyre. Must have been a slow puncture.
    I took the oppurtunity to swap the Michelin Pro4s for GP4000s which I've had waiting to be put on the roadie for a couple of months.
    Didn't get on with the Michelin Pro4, found they were susceptible to punctures. Might have been me.
    GP4000s, so far, so good. But should know more after the weekend.

The 100 miler on Saturday certainly taught us a couple of things. Hydration and eating properly, far outweighs tyres.
    New Malden to Epsom Downs
    60 percent of the time, all of the time
    Wilier Triestina
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
    Rose Xeon CW-3100 Di2